a 4 tapping boiler - 1 vent pipe or 2?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can somebody please explain something to me if anyone knows....

on a 4 tapping boiler (solid fuel mainly i believe only have 4 tappings) - 2 for the hot water flow and return and 2 for the heating flow and return, is there only 1 vent pipe over the f & e, or can they merge into 1? if 1, from what point can they merge together?

Sponsored Links
depends how you pipe the system, fully pumped or gravity , mi instuctions should tell u what they recomend

Take your vent pipe off the gravity circ's make sure it's path is completely unobstructed (inc. motorised valves etc)

The radiator in the picture above is a heat leak NOT the pumped heating circuit.

Take your pumped heating flow off the 28mm gravity before the cylinder or from a boiler tapping and take your return back to the boiler return connection using an injector tee (essential)

You will only use 3 tappings this way so plug the other one. You could use the other spare for the vent pipe but normally equates to more pipework.

HTH Sam

Sponsored Links
all a bit antiqated, if manufactures instructions allow it would be better to fully pump the system ,otherwise how can u control the hot water temp in the cylinder it would just boil,but still the system temperiture is not controlled because of the nature of the heat source.

I am presuming it is a solid fuel set up, if so then provisions need to be in place in the event of power failure/pump stop's working to dissipate heat. Gravity h/w is the easiest way to achieve this along with the fact he has stated it already.

Part L still applies to solid fuel also so cylinder stat and zone valve should be introduced. Obviously an effective heat leak is a must.

If it is gas/oil then fully pumped is most certainly the way to go. :)

Sam

in the event of pump failure/overheating a bucket of water next to the fire would be helpfull. lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back