Do manufacturers make boilers with 4 seperate tappings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as in title?

my old boiler has 4 tappings, 2 flows and 2 returns, one set for dhw and one for heating.

the new boilers i see only have one flow and one return

Sponsored Links
Gravity System you need to update to fully pumped can't replace a gravity boiler anymore.

yes i know the part L none-sense which states i cannot do what i want with my own property and applicances within it, but i thought it wasnt 100% law, i thought that the householder still had a choice after being made aware.

i simply cannot afford the prices of converting to fully pumped, i was going to get a condensing boiler and change to c plan to be slightly more efficient.

i have been moaned at before for complaining about high bills and yet saying i have no cash to convert but the point is the gas bills come in at say 100 quid per month which is manageable monthly, but coughing up 2500 quid lump sum is simply out of the question for me at this time! i can just about manage £700 for a new boiler and a couple of hundred for controls. and thats doing the wiring myself.

i was going to get a condensing boiler and change to c plan to be slightly more efficient.

If you're going to do that, surely you can afford an extra 2-port valve and a few feet of cable? :confused:

Sponsored Links
i have been told that i will need to relocate the vent pipework, change the pump position etc etc, what exactly is involved with changing to fully pumped in a step by step idiot guide?

i have been told that i will need to relocate the vent pipework, change the pump position etc etc, what exactly is involved with changing to fully pumped in a step by step idiot guide?

If your pipework and rads will stand the increased pressure, the easiest option would probably be to switch to a system boiler with a 3-port valve or two 2-port valves. (Budget system boiler)

You'd need to bring a mains feed to the boiler location for filling the system, and cap off the feed, vent, and cold supply to the (redundant) header tank.

I don't know your level of experience, so I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but the pump, pressure vessel, and pressure relief valve are within the boiler, so you could use the existing hot water and heating circuit. Controls would likely be a 2-channel programmer, room stat and cylinder stat (possibly re-used), and you're supposed to have trv's.

I don't know too much about designing open vent systems, so can't give a definitive answer on the feed and vent pipes.

yes i know the part L none-sense which states i cannot do what i want with my own property and appliances within it, but i thought it wasn't 100% law, i thought that the householder still had a choice after being made aware.
Unfortunately you have no option. The regulations say that, when you replace the boiler in a "semi-gravity" installation, it has to be upgraded to fully pumped.

Have you thought about a combi boiler?

I can just about manage £700 for a new boiler and a couple of hundred for controls; and that's doing the wiring myself.
Does the £700 include installation? You will not get a boiler plus installation for under £1000.

If the boiler is still working, why replace it? You will not get your money back in reduced bills.

Just convert to a C plan - cost about £100 for parts. You should be able to do it yourself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back