A B*llox up, paint patches and metal beading?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, a couple of questions.
1) My boyfriend decided to surprise me and start painting an undercoat onto new plaster :p but unfortunately he has rollered the walls and then used a brush for the corners and edging :eek: as you can imagine it looks terrible with the different texturing. :evil:
I have started going around with a mini roller trying to blend the brushstrokes and uneven paint job (its taking forever) ... is there anything else I should do? Will this sort out the problem? I will be doing the walls a different colour from the ceiling so I'm hoping that will also help?
Also
2) Our plasterer used metal beading for all the corners and edging of the walls - is this normal? I'm struggling to paint over them and as a result it looks like someone has taken a pencil and drawn the outlines to the windows and doors - will more paint layers cover this or is there something else I need to do?
And finally!
3) I've found there are areas on the newly plastered walls that are not holding paint well. They look like long drip lines or just small darker patches - as a result the paint job is looking patchy. Will this sort out with more layers, a better quality paint, a different colour or do I have a problem here?
Thanks for reading ... and Happy New Year DIYing!!!
:LOL:

Sponsored Links
1)...one of these will help ya...

corneroller.jpg

2) Do these outlines appear to be white ish?...or rather a paler version of the colour on your walls?

3) Sound like the plasterer might have polished the walls up a bit too much...give all the walls a light rub down before you put your next coats on...theres not much you can do about it now you have painter.

4)...Buy your b/f a painting book in the sales.. ;)

(2) I've brushed white universal primer on metal beading and let it dry before emulsioning, it uses very little paint and you only have to flick the brush lightly over the edges.

Don't know if this is an approved method?

Sponsored Links
2) Our plasterer used metal beading for all the corners and edging of the walls - is this normal?
absolutely..........you would have to be having a wall of bare brick or block plastered AND specify "old fashioned" external corners to be done ......it`d cost more , be easily damaged but if you wanted,say a 15mm radius for design reasons it could be done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back