A broken spring story.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As our roads descend into the quality of the average cart track, broken springs provide me with many beer tokens.
However, some events are more 'entertaining' than others.
Take this 2001 406 estate. Came to me on the back of a tow truck, with the noise so low it was resting on the front plastic valance. Both springs broken, surely, I thought.
Anyway, on jacking it up, it was only the nearside one that had broken.
These cars have a large diameter spring - but its wound down to quite a small diameter at the bottom. This is where it had broken.
However, the larger part of the spring coil had descended down the strut, and on the way down it had:
Severed the brake hydraulic line :eek:
Chopped the pad indicator wear cables :confused:
Chopped the ABS signal wire :confused:
Cracked the toothed reluctor wheel on the driveshaft end :eek:
And finally, puncured the drive shaft CV boot :eek:
Oh what fun! The owner wasn't best pleased.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Ouch!
So where are you going on holiday when he pays you?!

My last car was a 52 plate Vectra. Got rid of it after replacing the 3rd spring. My brother has just got rid of his 53 plate after 4 broken springs. He never changed the 4th one, just traded it in

Sponsored Links
The French love to have huge spring coils with cups at the bottom that are too small to contain any of the large coils when it snaps! Renault Laguna`s are the same, they updated the front shocks to include a larger cup to contain any failure.

Bear in mind, Gentlemen, should you wish to claim for any pot hole damage to your car, that the local authority must have been aware of the road condition previously to your claim.
Simply damaging your car one day, and putting a claim in straight away just won't wash ;)

Bear in mind, Gentlemen, should you wish to claim for any pot hole damage to your car, that the local authority must have been aware of the road condition previously to your claim.
Simply damaging your car one day, and putting a claim in straight away just won't wash ;)

Just go back and check they haven't filled it in on the later date you DO claim for :LOL:

The road outside my workshop has a skip lorry company just off of it. The potholes in the road no kidding must be 1m square, and at least 8" deep. This goes on for about 20 metres.

Yesterday the council put up some signs saying " Uneven road surface" dotted about in the road

The French love to have huge spring coils with cups at the bottom that are too small to contain any of the large coils when it snaps! Renault Laguna`s are the same, they updated the front shocks to include a larger cup to contain any failure.

My French cars don't have any springs. :D

Sponsored Links
Back