A car 'accessory' I just can't do without

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a play with a 66 plate Mini Clubman today. Why do they call this thing a Mini?
Never mind.
First, the dash display started changing colour. Apparently this was because it was in 'pop' mode. Fantastic. Immediately I thought I must buy one for this facility alone.
Next, a picture of a goldfish in a bowl appeared on the display. It was smiling appreciatively and the water was calm. On picking up some more speed, the water became slightly rougher, and the goldfish expression was one of annoyance.
After a few more miles, the water became rather choppy, the goldfish scowled and jumped out of the bowl :eek:
Curious, this.....I always thought it was better to keep your eyes on the road!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Had a play with a 66 plate Mini Clubman today. Why do they call this thing a Mini?
Never mind.
First, the dash display started changing colour. Apparently this was because it was in 'pop' mode. Fantastic. Immediately I thought I must buy one for this facility alone.
Next, a picture of a goldfish in a bowl appeared on the display. It was smiling appreciatively and the water was calm. On picking up some more speed, the water became slightly rougher, and the goldfish expression was one of annoyance.
After a few more miles, the water became rather choppy, the goldfish scowled and jumped out of the bowl :eek:

Never mind.

Never mind.

lot of pointless rubbish put in vehicles these days. shame as there are lots of passive technologies that are really good but unfortunately not visible such a adaptive CC, Lane deviation alerts, ESC, Blind spot overtake warnings, brake assist, adaptive headlights etc etc etc.. but they're not seen as "sexy" by marketing, hence the ridiculous fripparies.

Sponsored Links
Apologies for those two pointless posts under my name. I had a technical problem but didn't know/think they would appear as I didn't press post.

Rather like the NAV additions to our Golf SE NAV.
In order to show traffic flow, which I find an important feature, it is necessary to attach a mobile phone (with internet connection of course). Having done that, I compared the NAV map to that of Google Maps to find the latter is far superior in that it shows traffic flow on smaller roads in addition to the main roads the NAV system shows. So why bother paying another £800 or so for NAV?
We live and learn.
Next time, it will be an SE and not SE NAV!

Rather like the NAV additions to our Golf SE NAV.
In order to show traffic flow, which I find an important feature, it is necessary to attach a mobile phone (with internet connection of course). Having done that, I compared the NAV map to that of Google Maps to find the latter is far superior in that it shows traffic flow on smaller roads in addition to the main roads the NAV system shows. So why bother paying another £800 or so for NAV?
We live and learn.
Next time, it will be an SE and not SE NAV!

or go for the android auto connection and use google maps through the sat nav :)

or go for the android auto connection and use google maps through the sat nav :)
That's exactly what we do!
The only minor advantage of the NAV facility is if when we don't have our phones or don't bother to plug them in to the car although, of course, no traffic flow information is available.

Things aren't so good when you don't have 3g/4g in the area you are driving, buy yes.. I rarely use the satnav far easier to say "hey Siri take me to blah blah.."

Things aren't so good when you don't have 3g/4g in the area you are driving, buy yes.. I rarely use the satnav far easier to say "hey Siri take me to blah blah.."
That's true, but I have found that once you have obtained traffic flow information on the map over quite a large area, it remains even when I close the internet connection. In theory, I suppose, resuming connection when a better signal is available would update the traffic information.

Never mind.
Could you retro-fit to the van John? I can see why you don't want to be without these must-haves, I mean...a moody goldfish...which jumps out the tank - incredibly useful! Why didn't manufacturers think of this years ago.

Another essential.....approach this vehicle in the dark, and it projects it's Mini badge onto the ground - Batman style :sleep:
Perhaps more importantly, EGR problems are very common on the 2 litre diesel, going into limp home mode in 6 k miles. BMW recommend V Power diesel to help it along - at least this is what the mechanics reckon.

Another essential.....approach this vehicle in the dark, and it projects it's Mini badge onto the ground - Batman style :sleep:
Perhaps more importantly, EGR problems are very common on the 2 litre diesel, going into limp home mode in 6 k miles. BMW recommend V Power diesel to help it along - at least this is what the mechanics reckon.

Batman style - that's it I'm shopping for one tomorrow! Never mind your tittle-tattle that it'll break down every 6k - Batman and a grumpy goldfish wins every time :rolleyes:

Our Ford Sync1 managed to get traffic info with no internet connection, may have used the RDS radio info?.

Had to pull it out due to screen failure so now need a good Android SatNav, thinking of navmii?.

Our Ford Sync1 managed to get traffic info with no internet connection, may have used the RDS radio info?.

Had to pull it out due to screen failure so now need a good Android SatNav, thinking of navmii?.

Actually, we have seen symbols, such as road works (what else!) and road closed, on our NAV screen without any internet connection. I think I might have read somewhere in the handbook that it does, indeed, obtain that information from radio stations.
I never listen to the radio in the car, but I think my wife has it set on RDS stations.

With regard to Android 'sat nav', I have used NAVMII and Google Maps and have found the latter is best for information and reliability. In fact, for traffic flow I find it better than the Golf NAV (which we paid an additional £750 for!).

Sponsored Links
Back