A carpenter charged me £180 to fit 3 x UPVC windows - does that sound reasonable?

• Thread starter Deleted member 290061
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 290061

A carpenter fitted 3 downstairs UPVC windows where the window spaces were already prepared meaning he didn't have to take the old windows out.
The carpenter told me what he wanted and I agreed - does it sound reasonable?

Sponsored Links
Well I'm not entirely sure because I wasn't there but it was done in a day. My guess as to how long it would take based on what other trades have told me is about 2 - 3 hours so I'd say a morning or afternoon at a guestimate

Well if he works out of his van I'd guess his day rate is between £200 & £250 a day, with a work shop I'd add at least £50 to those rates.
Time wise I'd plan on 2 hours a window to fit + materials ( frame fixings, sealer, cleaner, adhesives, tooling costs). With traveling time there isn't going to be much time left out of a working day.

Sponsored Links
Well if he works out of his van I'd guess his day rate is between £200 & £250 a day, with a work shop I'd add at least £50 to those rates.
Time wise I'd plan on 2 hours a window to fit + materials ( frame fixings, sealer, cleaner, adhesives, tooling costs). With traveling time there isn't going to be much time left out of a working day.
Thanks wgt52 - Ok well the carpenter has a full time job and works weekends and evenings on his own additional work. It sounds like it was a very fair price then

Something Something fensa certificate or building control notification for new windows?

Something Something fensa certificate or building control notification for new windows?
The job was notified to a private company who issue building control certificates and they're fine with just a photograph although there's other opened files on notifiable work they will need to sign off on

Last edited by a moderator:
It actually took them around 5 hours to fit them - cost was higher than the £180 I'd thought it was going to cost as well - They're in and the building is watertight now so I'm happy with that
£180 for 3 windows is a bargain.
Yeah the actual price in the end was in the region of £400 which included someone else onsite and some extra materials - although the main window installer still got the £180
I'd be happy.
How long did he take?
So he took around 5 hours in the end and he got paid £180 but there was someone else helping instead of me who was paid and some additional materials needed so it came in at around £400 in the end - so not as good value as I'd initially thought

Last edited by a moderator:
The job was notified to a private company who issue building control certificates and they're fine with just a photograph

Surely it needs inspecting , as the fitter isn't part of a competent persons scheme? Which privat e company issued it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back