Water coming in through new uPVC window frame

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back in June we had a 15yrs old uPVC dg window with openings replaced with a new unit with no openings.

When the window fitters installed the new window they moved it out about 20mm. Their reason being that had they installed it level with where the old unit was we would see the old sealant which would look messy. Although I didn’t really want the window moved forward I accepted what they were doing as I assumed they knew better than me.

Now when it rains and the wind is in the wrong direction water dribbles down on the inside from where the beading touches the glass.

We have been in contact with the installers who sent a “surveyor” out. He took the beading off and confirmed that the frame was wet and water was getting in via the screw. He then went outside saw the tiles and felt that the water was most likely getting to the window frame via the gap between the tiles and the brickwork. He concluded that it was our problem and that we should seal the gap between the tiles and the brickwork.

To me that sounds like a bodge.

Never happened with the previous window unit so does seem to me to be caused by them, perhaps because they move it forward?

Not sure what the bit of wood is between the window and the tiles is for, the “surveyor” says it’s a batten for holding the tiles, I know its not that but does seem to be suffering from the water.

What long term damage is likely to be caused and what do you suggest we do?

123w9du.jpg

Sponsored Links
hi

What should we do ?

Seal the gap betwen the gap tiles and brickwork
Insist that the window is moved back
Something else

Also what is the wood above the window for ?

The wood is one of the battens that the tiles are nailed to, The rest will be flat but this one is end on to create a kick in the tiles to aim water away from the house.

As for the leak there is no way to be sure without taking the window out or taking off all the tiles.
Sometimes you fit them to the outside of where old timber frames would have been to cover the scar lines as said. Old timber frames would have been 90-100mm so whether you fit them to the inside or the outside you will have 20-30mm to make good.

In this case I would say the window company should come and refit the window to the inside to see if it solves the problem as an good will gesture. They could take some photos of the head while they are at it.

The window may well not be the problem just look at all the treads here and in the building forum at leaks that are penetrating through peoples walls due to the relentless weather.

• Thanks
Reactions: ABN
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

I stand corrected re the wood above the window. From tapping it it sounded/felt like a thin piece of hardboard/ply so assumed it was merely “decorative” or to stop birds etc.

I accept what you say about moving forward when existing frames are wood. In this case the old frames were uPVC fitted with glass units having the smaller gap than used today. Thus I would have thought the old frames were, if anything, narrower than the new frames. Perhaps the fitters were working on auto pilot.

Will keep trying to get them to at least take the unit out to see what’s going on and hopefully will be able to start a new thread asking how best to remove frame sealant from brickwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back