A complete cock up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

Just had building control round to take a look at the roof structure. It's the first time they've been round since going up with the brick and block.

I've used 75mm cavity, 40mm celotex.

The building control guy looked down the cavity and could see cement cement in areas between the brick work and the insulation, you can imagine what happened next.

I used an old window board to catch the pug, resting on the brick work as I built the block and so on. I think i was a little careless by not using a strip of wood also. :(

His suggestion is pull down the outer skin of the extension, clean and rebuild or pull down the inner skin pull out the celotex replace with full fill insulation and rebuild.

I have spoken with my dad who said get a long thin piece of steel, knock all the pug down and take out the bottom course of blocks, one at a time to clear.

Can you guys recommend anything else?

A real heart sink moment. Complete stupidity now I think about, considering I actually cleared the entire cavity of the exisiting house two years ago which was a major job but lime morter made it doable.

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
If all these mortar snots are pushing the insulation forward, then you will never get it back tight against the blockwork without demolishing one of the skins

Board insulation is bad enough to use for pro work, let alone DIY

Your options do seem to be limited

Taking down the blockwork may be easiest, and with care you can reuse the board rather than change to quilt

hello woody

the board is currently flat against the block its the fact the morter from the brick work is touching the foil of the insulation and the wall ties

j

If that the case I can't see what the fuss is about

Just knock the snots off with a large stick or something and make some "coring holes" (ie take a few bricks out) in the external brickwork to collect the debris at DPC level

It may be difficult with just 35mm to play with, but it would be better than demolition

Sponsored Links
To what height did you fill your cavity below DPC level? It may be that you can knock the snot off with a stick then and then tamp it down flat with an even longer stick that has a larger blunt end. You should be able to use the same stick to measure how full the cavity is, how much height you have to play with etc.

Gary

I have got a large metal thin strip that i have been using to knock them all down. I've opened the block at the bottom to remove the crap. the DPC is onne block / three bricks high at the request of BC originally. he said he will want to use a mirror or something to check clear

You should have cut coring holes in face work, as woody said, then insulation is not in the way.
If he uses torch and mirror, then you may just have problems.:rolleyes:
Regards oldun

hello oldun, is that problems because I cut into the insulation?

thanks

J

This might seem outlandish but would it be possible to use a small jet wash down the top of the cavity to clear the mortar off the ties, or would it be too destructive of the board? Just a thought.
If the inspector's going to get a mirror and torch, he seems to be going out of his way to look for problems.

Something I hadn't thought about actually using a jet washer.

To be honest, it's my own fault for leaving the obvious cavity around the window with pug visible. The inspector then wanted to look in the gable.

Lesson learned, it's just how hard I end up learning it

J

hello oldun, is that problems because I cut into the insulati

No. As long as you have got the insulation back into place and wedged, you should have no problems.
Any time you hear a BCO or COW talk about mirrors or see then with a torch, then nine times out of ten you have got a right a*se hole to deal with.
Whilst we appreciate Tony is trying to be helpful, would not advise a pressure washer down cavity.
Will not affect Celotek insulation, but could increase chances of future efflorescence on face work due to water drying out through brickwork.
Just knock snots of with long iron rod and clean out much as you can through core holes. Suggest, make good core holes before he comes so that cavity is as dark as possible.
Regards oldun

Thanks for the advice guys. Back at work today, will tackle next weekend and try and get the BCO out next week. Wish me luck!

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back