A couple of building control questions :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just wondering if there was a way of having a structural beam exposed and still pass building control = is there a way of powder coating it.. or does it have to be enclosed due to fire regs?

Additionally I was wondering what level of finish is required for building reg sign off or does it depend on the borough - for example would we need to have flooring down, skirting boards , coving and picture rails - or could be 'builders finish' and still pass?

Sponsored Links
You can use Intumescent paint, but it is not pretty.

Finish is ready for habitation, save for carpets and decorating.

If the beam is only supporting a roof (eg a purlin) it does not need any fire resistance; otherwise it does.

Sponsored Links
Thank you :) I was wondering how people get looks like this - as its what we would like (well similar)

You need to move to America then! :rolleyes:

Fake beams or a fire suppression system may be an option

I had a feeling I might need to move!! I suspect it will be blocked in .

I think they could be purely decrotive in the picture. If you look to the left of the column there's another opening with no visible steel beams.

Technically allowable or not, exposed UBs/UCs will be a constant cleaning problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back