Building Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I've had my plans passed for an attic conversion on my detached bungalow and my architect has sent me the building regs with structural calcs.
I've questioned him on 3 beams that run horizontally to the house (not supporting floor joists or roof which run the opposite way) as the only logical way to fit them would mean they would have to sit in the rooms below (as they're supposed to sit on the external walls) as there's no room in the eaves for a padstone or steel.
He's told me that I could remove 2 of them and use the internal walls as load bearing but would have to keep 1 of the steels. My question is, as I've had the regs/structural calcs drawn, would I not have to have the steels exactly as the building regs are drawn? I'm going to use JHAI for building control instead of the council if that makes a difference?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As a rule, private inspectors tend to be more flexible than LABC when it comes to alterations to the plans.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back