Structural Advice on conservatory roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for advice from any Structural engineers. Existing conservatory built on a steel frame with a steel column in each corner and steel beams spanning the 4.3m between columns. Looking to replace the existing glass roof with a solid roof. Have planning permission and building regs as part of a refurbishment. Building control are looking for calcs on the steels to confirm the loading from glass to proposed covered roof. Looking for some structural advice as to the options to either use the timber solution proposed by the previous engineer or if the lighter system roofs would work. Not getting very far with loadings and before i source a new local engineer, are there any forum members who can help and advise on loads for this project.

Sponsored Links
You'll probably need to provide a bit more info on the existing structure, sizes/spans etc and what it is you're proposing, you can tag our resident SE's @tony1851 or @RonnyRaygun I'm sure they'll appreciate that! :evil: ;)

As FMT says, your engineer will need to assess the existing columns and beams to ensure that they can take the additional load. It’s possible that the existing members are OK.

The loadings depend on materials to be used and also the style and pitch of the roof.

Also, if you know what the weight of the existing roof is then it will be easier to assess the increase in load, if any.

There will be lighter materials that could be used rather than slates or tiles which will add considerable load. However, it might be that the plans insist the new roof matches the existing. There are plastic tiles available that would be considerably lighter than concrete or clay.

Not using plasterboard - maybe thin ply instead - would further keep the load down. As I understand it a roof doesn’t need 30 mins fire protection so no plasterboard required.

So the loads will be the internal finishes, insulation, joists, breathable membrane, , and tiles / other finishes.

You can get loads from BS648 if you can get hold of a copy, or Google is your friend and weights of materials are easily found.

My understanding is that planning permission isn't required to replace a conservatory roof with a solid roof. I am soon to have my 4m x 4m glass conservatory roof replaced with a Guardian warm roof which my installer has told me is already LABC approved. The installer has informed my local building control of the change to the roof but no one has contacted me yet.

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that planning permission isn't required to replace a conservatory roof with a solid roof. I am soon to have my 4m x 4m glass conservatory roof replaced with a Guardian warm roof which my installer has told me is already LABC approved. The installer has informed my local building control of the change to the roof but no one has contacted me yet.
Conservatories are usually exempt from building control approval anyway. Planning permission is totally separate. Also, don't take anything your installer tells you on Dave value - compliance is legally down to the homeowner.

Conservatories are usually exempt from building control approval anyway. Planning permission is totally separate. Also, don't take anything your installer tells you on Dave value - compliance is legally down to the homeowner.
My installer has already notified building controI and I have the approval notification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back