Conservatory upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice, have a 2.70m x 4.25m conservatory with 80cm high brick walls and then glazed to a polycarbonate roof. On recommendation of builder looking to upgrade by using a timber frame to add structure for two large windows [approx 1.30cm each] rather than all 4m of length glazed and timber frame with grp roof. Do I need building regs as no longer considered conservatory if it has a solid roof? Looking to keep external door in place so doesn’t become part of the house. Keep reading about 75% glazing but not clear if this is the case in this instance.
On that would building regs expect structural engineer calculations that walls/ foundations in place could hold new structure if they were needed or can I just upgrade, anything has got to be better surely!
Thoughts appreciated before I knock the monstrosity down

PXL_20221009_122831366.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You are describing an extension so most likely should require approval.

Use of the room will also be a factor.

All typical b/regs for extensions will apply, but the existing structure that will remain could have a visual check for suitability.

I have just had my conservatory roof replaced with a solid roof, building control were involved but the inspection was very brief.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back