Is this a conservatory, extension or ... what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a large (~5 x 4m) fairly old (c.2002) conservatory with polycarb roof, dwarf walls on 2 sides, which is attached to the back of our terraced house. It face directly west and is partially obscured/protected on the south (LHS) side by next doors' extension.

Despite 2 radiators connected to the GCH, it was very cold in there this winter, and therefore largely unusable. I would to be able to use this space all year round and remove the doors/windows permanently. A builder whom i know/trust fairly well suggested 3 options:

1. Upgrade roof to glass, replace the glazing. Modern U values will make the space more habitable in winter.
2. Replace RHS with timber frame (this is currently obscured glass facing RHS neighbours conservatory), replace plastic with vaulted roof & tiles (may require additional structure to support), replace remaining glazed wall & doors with modern glazing
3. Knock it down and build a proper extension.

#1 can presumably be done without notifying anyone official.
#3 would require BR and possibly be carried out under permitted development?
What exactly is #2? is it still a conservatory or something else? Would this cause problems with BR/planning/when selling the place?

Sponsored Links
1: and possibly insufferable in summer. blinds for the roof? in terms of notification, you might have to choose a fensa registered company to replace the glazing. note that if there isn't an external grade door between the conservatory and the house or the heating is dependent on the house system it's likely to be considered as part of the house and more regs may apply. see http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/conservatories/

2: is probably an orangerie, whether it would help sell the house I've no idea. the estate agent may simply call it a conservatory if he feels the client target wouldnt understand what an orangery was..

3: would have notifiable aspects, i dare say

1: and possibly insufferable in summer. blinds for the roof? in terms of notification, you might have to choose a fensa registered company to replace the glazing. note that if there isn't an external grade door between the conservatory and the house or the heating is dependent on the house system it's likely to be considered as part of the house and more regs may apply. see http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/conservatories/

2: is probably an orangerie, whether it would help sell the house I've no idea. the estate agent may simply call it a conservatory if he feels the client target wouldnt understand what an orangery was..

3: would have notifiable aspects, i dare say

Thanks for your comments. tbh i'm not entirely sure what an orangery is myself? i thought it was just a posh description for a conservatory :)

The conservatory was in place with GCH radiators and (nominally) exterior grade door when we moved in last year.

I'd like to remove the existing door (and possibly window?). Do you know if an orangery is a 'thing' in terms of planning/building regs or does everything short of a fully spec'd extension require the external grade door?

Removing the door and window would bring the extension within regulations. It's not feasible to upgrade it to present regs in its current form. The only option is to calculate heat loss with and without the extension and compensate for the difference elsewhere in the house. How feasible this is depends on your house?

If you don't particularly want a conservatory I'd knock it down and start again. Keeping it will probably cost more and certainly cause more difficulties.

Sponsored Links
tbh i'm not entirely sure what an orangery is myself? i thought it was just a posh description for a conservatory :)

I think it is supposed to be a flat-roof extension, with a large roof lantern (as opposed to Velux rooflights) and substantially-glazed walls with brick dwarf walls on the three sides.

ie a posh consrvatory; the names estate agents think up come and go.

well, yes if cost was no option i would definitely be going for #3 :D

I guess the question is: can option #2 be a 'non-dodgy' solution?
will it comply with building regs?
will it actually be functional?
what will a future buyers' solicitor think of it?

If 3 is prohibitive due to cost - why did you mention it?

Did he mention it? His builder mentioned it, but I don't see anywhere that he actually says it's prohibitive, only an implication that it's an important factor in his decision

OP: "never confuse cost with value"

Did he mention it? His builder mentioned it, but I don't see anywhere that he actually says it's prohibitive, only an implication that it's an important factor in his decision

OP: "never confuse cost with value"

We can probably afford the full extension, but if #2 can be done in a legit fashion (with respect to the 4 questions in my previous post), then I would prefer the cheaper option....

option 2 makes it a bit like trigger's broom, surely? it shouldn't be hard to cost up the material quantities of all 3, then double it for the cost of installing them for a rough estimate of total cost

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back