Conservatory roof suggestions Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
looking to build a conservatory on the side of my house off the kitchen. It will be accessible through exterior bi-fold doors and is exempt from Building regs as it fits within the criteria.
Also the main wall is within 1m off boundary wall so will be completely bricked & exempt from glazing calculations as per Application of Part L to Conservatories.
The issue I have is I would like to use the room through winter period also so obvioulsy with a roof glazed not less than 75% it will get bloody cold or my heating bills will go through the glass roof :D
Any suggestions on how to achieve a better thermal roof? The only stipulation is that I do not want to get a building notice as the house is built close to a mineshaft and we were recently granted planning permission on a further extension to the living area but not Building regs approval to build it, due to the 'possible' existence of the shaft.
Ideas & thoughts welcomed.:cool:

Sponsored Links
jassdhali you can build the roof out of solid insulation if you like. Provided it meets 3.16 or failing that 4.8 you will be exempt from inspections. Just build it as you would an extension.

Sponsored Links
Planning and building regulations rules classify porches for specific reasons. But they are not interchangebale - what planning calls a porch is not the same as what building regs call a porch. For your purposes you are building an extension for planning and a porch for building regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back