A few questions around BC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I recently (18 months ago) moved into 1920s solid brick house. The previous owners(s) seemed to have cut a few corners here and there.

Anyway, I recently had a structural engineer in to advise on an internal wall removal (which turned out it wasn't structural, and wobbled when the plaster was removed) in the front room, which is now completed. I am replacing the roof at the back of the house (which I assume was a conservatory at some point - I'll explain shortly) as it's in need of repair. This also prompted the engineer to confirm the back wall of the house has been removed (which can be seen by the beams) to create an open plan living area.

So, my understanding (after speaking to the previous owner) of the work went like this:

• House used to have a separate kitchen and diner, along with a full height brick built conservatory at the back
  • Steels were then put in place (with plans) and the roof was replaced

While the roof is off, I'm doing some slight modifications which include, a few Velux windows and full width bi-fold doors. The advice the SE has given me is that I will need BC approval as I need to put a longer steel in to support the roof as the bi-folds wont hack it. In addition to that, one side of the 'extension' is single skin breeze block,...here's the catch,...

There is no pre-existing BC certificate, so there is a chance that the inspector could ask me to rectify any issues. All calcs have been done previously, and I have the paperwork, it just seems it wasn't ever signed off, and the same with the conservatory --> extension conversion.

Is it OK to leave as is, or will BC want me to pull the side wall down and rebuild it (which with the added weight of a double skin, could mean new foundations). I could do the work (new roof and steel + a few other bits) and carry on as normal, but don't want to cause issues further down the line?

It has been like this for under 4 years.

Sorry for the long post, but I read so many where not enough information has been provided in the OP, and no doubt I have missed something vital also!!

Look forward to your responses.

Sponsored Links
I very much doubt they will be interested in the previous works providing your SE has all his calcs up to spec based on what's there.
I wouldn't worry what BC think but be more concerned what your SE thinks if that wall is going to be taking a load after that it's down to whether you are happy with the wall as it is

If everything is hunky dory structurally then leave it and don't bother with building control.
The amount of work and cost to regularise past work is disproportionate to any benefits.

Sponsored Links
Apologies for the delay, I have been away for a week.

Many thanks for your replies. I have scanned in and posted the original plans.

The structure is sound (well, seems it) and I suppose I could always look to install a flat roof instead which doesn't weigh as much. The reason I mention that is because (looking at the plans) the utility room and part of the kitchen already has a flat roof which is starting to puddle so I could replace them all at the same time, and would look better as the roof would be one piece, as opposed to being a mis-mash.

I might see if a private BC firm would look at it, as I would have more control over what they look at (albeit more expensive). My partner is training to be a child-minder, and the open plan area at the back is what has been put forward as the care area, so ideally would like to ensure its all above board (even though previous works is out of my control).

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    88.7 KB · Views: 250

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back