In which scenario would Building Control be required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a new house built a couple of years ago which has a large set of French Doors to the garden. On the same wall as the French Doors there is a 1200mm x 1200mm window with full height wall in between.

We are considering installing Bi-fold doors and wonder which of these scenarios (if any) would NOT require building control :
- simply replacing the existing French Doors with the same size bi-fold in the same opening
- as above but also replacing the existing window with a full height (2100mm) window
- removing the french doors, the window and the wall between them (about 1 metre wide) and having the bi-fold doors fill the gap created.

I assume the latter would probably require BC involvement - if so does anyone know which schedule of fees this work would come under (see below).

bc schedule.jpg

(I will eventually talk directly to BC, but at the moment they are very difficult to get hold of as they recently lost 30% of the staff in local council cuts.)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Think the first would depend if the installer is fensa or not.

Think the first would depend if the installer is fensa or not.

So far the quotes I have had have been for supply only or supply and fit of the doors - into a prepared opening (existing or new).
No one has offered, (so far) the service of creating the opening if I chose to go for the third option - so FENSA or CERTASS accreditation seems irrelevant if that's the way we decide to go.

I guess from your response that if we do go option 3 we will need BC involvement - but under which schedule.

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure all 3 of those will need building control involvement.
Option 1 can be done by a fensa fitter and won't require an inspection.
I'm not sure about 2 and 3 to be honest! Might be worth posting in building forum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back