Building regs for windows when backing onto farmland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a detached double garage approx 8x6m which we are converting to a living space.

It backs onto arable farmland and is 1m from the boundary

We want to put bi-folding doors approx 2.1x2.1m and a window approx 1.8x1m at the back of the building to take advantage of the views over the open farmland

I understand we couldn't put that size of window in if we backed onto another building but wondered what the building regs would be when backing onto open farmland when our windows would be 1m from the boundary?

Sponsored Links
Read this and scroll down to 'fire safety'.

Thanks noseall.

I do understand that but having read: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADB1_2006.pdf page 48 Section 9 : Space separation 9.4 it states:

Boundaries: "Usually only the distance to the actual boundary of the site needs to be considered. But, in some circumstances, when the site boundary adjoins a space where further development is unlikely, such as a road, then part of the adjoining space may be included as falling within the relevant boundary for the purposes of this section. The meaning of the term boundary is explained in Diagram 17."

And then:

"Relevant boundaries
9.5 The boundary which a wall faces, whether it is the actual boundary of the site or a notional boundary, is called the relevant boundary (see Diagrams 17 and 18)."

Where the relevant boundary "may be the centre line of a road, railway, canal or river."

I am hoping this may apply to farmland where further development is unlikely

Any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
@noseall - true

It seems that it may be an option to lose the bi-fold doors and have a fixed window as long as the glazing is fire resistant for 30mins

Also, if we have a sprinkler system we could double the boundary distance

This is turning out to be quite complex so will get my local building regs person on the case!

The Approved Documents are not the Building Regulations

You would be able to put these doors in with no special precautions, in conformity with the actual Building Act/Building Regulations

The Approved Documents are not the Building Regulations

You would be able to put these doors in with no special precautions, in conformity with the actual Building Act/Building Regulations

Thanks for this!

Any documentation you can point me to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back