Timber Garage and Bdg Regs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of building a timber garage and following advice from a local builder that planning and building regs dont apply ......... have now been told that building regs probably do.....

As i understand it the issue is that the garage is less than 1m from the boundary with my neighbours property, and is made of combustible material.

Has anyone out there had any similar issues and if so know what the Building Inspector might expect, if I have to apply retrospectively. Would like an idea before we open up a can of worms by asking the council !!

Sponsored Links
I can tell you that you are correct in your assumption of your buildinng being subject to Building Control because it is either closer than 1 meter to the boundary and/or because it is constructed of combustible materials. There is another condition that also must apply: It must be no more than 30 square meters floor area for BC to not apply.
I think there is a condition when the first two conditions do not apply and that is if the new building is less than 15 square meters floor area.

I'm not sure about Part P electrical regs. best asking in Electric forum.

I have no experience of retrospectively requiring or obtaining Building Control approval.

i thought you can go so close to your boundary but then you have a height restriction.
just call ya local council and ask,they will soon put you right.

You might get away with fire-proofing the wall adjacent to you neighbour.

Sponsored Links
i thought you can go so close to your boundary but then you have a height restriction.
just call ya local council and ask,they will soon put you right.
Ayup again Chuck, I thought the height restriction applied to Planning Permission, i.e. no more than 4 meteres to ridge.

you dont need building control but you do need planning
Oh yes you do in the case that daveymunroe has already been informed by his own LABC & which RedHerring has also posted; + any electrics or glazing (safety) must comply even if the rest of the building is B Regs. exempt.

[/quote]daveymunroe said he has not been in contact with the local council.you need planning if the garage is within 1 metre of any boundry
you need planning if it is closer than 15 metres of of the main dwelling and is classed as an extension
it does not have to be nonflammeble

daveymunroe said he has not been in contact with the local council.
Give you that one, my misunderstanding.

I think your confusing Building Regulations with Planning; if the garage is less than 1 metre from any boundary it will require BR approval unless it’s “constructed from substantially non-combustible materials”. The OP's garage is timber!

The OP’s issue is also related to Building Regs. not planning but you will need PP in other cases. Read the Planning Portal links;

Planning Permission:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonoutbuildings/

Building Regulations:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...kcommonoutbuildings/workmorebregsoutbuilding/

i have worked in the building industry for over 25 years ,i know the differance betwen the building regs and planning it seems to me that a builder should know most of the rules and regulations and if not should be able to find out in no time at all ,the rules are complex and some one calling in a builder probably does not know any rules,this is not a forum for slagging people off.its to try and help people.i have never needed building regs for a garage or shed except on a new build,
quote from planning portal [If the Regulations do apply to the building then it must be built to reasonable standards.]no need for building regs.

but may still need planning

i have worked in the building industry for over 25 years ,i know the differance betwen the building regs and planning

Sorry but it appears you do not?

You just quoted soemthing from the Planning Portal. Have you come across this on the PP...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonoutbuildings/

Planning may be required and Building Reg's will only be required...

- If the floor area of the building is less than 15 square metres and contains NO sleeping accommodation.
- If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building contains NO sleeping accommodation and is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials.

So, if the shed's less than 15 sq.m (which the majority of normal garden sheds are), then you will not have to submit a Building Reg's application.

i have worked in the building industry for over 25 years ,i know the differance betwen the building regs and planning
Well that’s gratifying to know; from your post so far it really shows. :eek:
it seems to me that a builder should know most of the rules and regulations and if not should be able to find out in no time at all ,the rules are complex
Get real, now you have got me worried :confused:

and some one calling in a builder probably does not know any rules,

That’s the point of this forum but the advice you give must be accurate & yours’ isn’t

this is not a forum for slagging people off. its to try and help people.
I’ve not slagged you off, merely pointed out you were wrong which you seem to have difficulty understanding or accepting in spite of nudges where to look; giving incorrect information is not helping people & you will never get slagged if your right; well mostly anyway :LOL:

i have never needed building regs for a garage or shed except on a new build,
quote from planning portal [If the Regulations do apply to the building then it must be built to reasonable standards.]no need for building regs. but may still need planning
I can’t really comment without knowing the circumstances & I really don’t have the time but I do agree with DevilDamo & you’re the one that actually slagged him off; "div" is hardy a constructive comment! :rolleyes:

If you cant post accurate information or accept correction when your wrong either go visit a chat room site or DON’T POST AT ALL :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back