Help! RSJs in extension not inspected by BC, yet signed off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again - yes, yet another post in my long-running saga of disasters caused by my cowboy contractor.

I discovering that the RSJ fitted in my dining room was fitted very badly (no calcs, beam too small, no padstones, piers too narrow).

So I worried that the 2 steels fitted by same builders in my single storey rear extension also may not have been done correctly. We have Cert of Completion from LABC but application was Building Notice, not Full Plan.

I called up LABC and they said they have no record of any steelwork being done at my extension!! - inspector checked DPC, footings, and roof but not the steels. They said they had requested engineers calcs for the steels, but having never received any, assumed the steelwork was not going to be carried out after all.

Then I remembered that yes, they did ask me at the time for the engineers calcs, I had called my builder who insisted that LABC already had the calcs. Seems he was telling porkies.

Either way, how the hell could LABC sign off the extension? There was an inspector on site, he must have seen (or at least realised that there were) steels supporting back of the house...yet LABC say they have no record of any inspection of the steels?

I do have engineers calcs which seem to relate to the 2 steels fitted, but given the problems encountered with other RSJ, I have no idea if indeed they got the same size steels as per calcs, if padstones were used, or how well the 2 steels were bolted together. Very worried now.

Sponsored Links
Only one way to find out...... Bit of making good and decorating afterwards probably worth it for the piece of mind.

Either way, how the hell could LABC sign off the extension? There was an inspector on site, he must have seen (or at least realised that there were) steels supporting back of the house...yet LABC say they have no record of any inspection of the steels?
For a projected to be completed and/or completion certificate to be issued LABC or Approved Inspectors have to be reasonable satisfied that all the work complies with the requirements, unfortunately they are not project managers, nor have the resources to check projects everyday. So have to take a reasoned judgement on work they have not seen. If your builder lied to you he could have done the same to them

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back