Regularisation or just normal Application?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder fitted an RSJ which isnt the sufficient size and didnt install padstones. LABC were not involved at all.

I had Calcs and drawings done for a new sufficient beam and new padstones. and want to get LABC to approve the new installation (When it happens).

Am I correct that Regulrisation would not be the right thing to do, but just a regular BC application?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You don’t need to Regularise if you’re taking the old beam out; the fee will also be twice as much. Put in a normal Building Notice submission with the drawing & calcs, pay the fee & call in LABC once you’ve got the new beam in position.

What work are you having done? It may be you need a much wider ranging submission for the whole of the work. If there is other notifyable work involved that needs inspection, you need to include that as well as the BI will almost certainly pick up on it when they inspect the beam install!

If I was you, I would check with your BCO department because even though these works will be new, unauthorised works have proceeded in the past, which would have required a BR application and so as they had been completed, would require a Regularisation Certificate. The fee isn't twice the nominal BR fee, but it's normally the same price as a normal BR application with VAT added on top.

A. I do have NICEIC Cert for the electrics, GS for the boiler and a LABC Completion Cert for my extension, so I am not too concerned about BC asking questions as to why it wasnt applied for in the first place.

B. The fee is indeed roughly the same. My concern is not the expense, just which is the more straightforward / Correct option to choose...

Sponsored Links
Your BCO would be able to advise. Saves you submitting an application that may be returned invalid.

If I was you, I would check with your BCO department because even though these works will be new, unauthorised works have proceeded in the past, which would have required a BR application and so as they had been completed, would require a Regularisation Certificate. Your BCO would be able to advise. Saves you submitting an application that may be returned invalid.
It’s always dependant on what else is involved & I did ask; in your case DVD’s advice is the right way to go. ;)

The fee isn't twice the nominal BR fee, but it's normally the same price as a normal BR application with VAT added on top.
I stand corrected
bowdown.gif

The fee isn't twice the nominal BR fee, but it's normally the same price as a normal BR application with VAT added on top.
I stand corrected
bowdown.gif

The cost varies from LA to LA. And being pedantic I know, but you don't pay VAT on regularisations, although you do on general Building Control Fees.

Mendip Council, for instance, charge their regularisation fees at 120% of their comparable Building Control fees, which makes it seem like VAT has been added on, but it's just that they are charging extra.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back