Building reg process for work already started

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m in the process of creating a new kitchen space by removing an internal supporting wall in an existing flat roof extension. I jumped in with two feet and have already removed the wall, installed massively over engineered timber beam and support post. Only then did I become more aware of building reg requirements! So, what would be the best approach for getting reg compliance?

Do I make a building notice application? I am aware that work should not commence until 48hrs after the application has been submitted, but what is this time for? Will someone come round to check that work hasn’t started or would I be able to get away with having some of it done already?

Or do I make a regularisation application seeing as much of the work has already commenced and is accessible for inspection?

And am I likely to be required to supply loading calculations? The beam is definitely strong enough as it’s only holding up the central span of the flat roof but is a visual inspection and common sense sufficient or does an inspector always require calcs?

Any advice gratefully received

Sponsored Links
Just get a Notice application in asap. They shouldn't kick up a fuss even though you've already started. Some Inspectors will be happy without calcs if the beam looks oversized and they're not wet behind the ears. Don't wait and do it as a regularisation that's just daft (and more expensive).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back