building regs

13 Feb 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I'm just what is required for a building regs application and whos responsibility it is to submit the drawings? i.e. are electrical latouts, structural steels pipe work etc required?

Sponsored Links
Depends what sort of application you make; a Building Notice needs just a brief description of the work & it’s inspected at various stages. A full plans submission will consist of detailed drawings & a specification of materials & the work being done & is effectively a pre-approval but work is still inspected at various stages. Calculations need to be submitted for structural steelwork.

It’s ultimately your responsibility to make the submission, provide calculations & any drawings & comply with relevant regulations not your Builder or Architect although you can make this a part of their contract.

Visit the Planning Portal;

Read the guide;
It is the "applicants" responsibility to submit any drawings or other details in support of the application. The applicant may not be the building owner, but the building owner will be responsible for compliance with the b/regs

You don't need to to detail electrical or pipe layouts on drawings, but anything structural (eg steels) and underground drainage and soil stack will need to be shown if relevant.

Structural calculations are only necessary if the officer asks for them. Using standard lintels wont normally require any supporting calculations and some councils will not require calculations for steel beams up to certain lengths

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links