Do Structural Calculations Requre Full Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our structural engineer is telling me the calculations require full building regs. Is this generally the way to go for structural calculations, or is it likely more a case of them covering themselves from a liability point of view.

I can understand that if a building notice were used, there would might not really be any way to ensure that the structural plans had been followed exactly.

Our architect is advising a building notice for his drawings, as they claim there are fairly straight forward (loft conversion and side return extension). Is it possible (and does it make any sense) to "mix & match" a building notice for the architects drawings, and full regs for the structural plans.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You should submit a full plans building regulation application. The structural plans/ calculations will be part of such an application, and they along with your other plans will be checked and then approved/rejected - and your builder then follows all the plans if approved or your plan drawer amends the plans if need be.

Your plan drawer/architect had given you bad advice

From experience (I submit probably 4-5 of these type of jobs a week) that you can submit a Building Notice or a Full Plans Application on this type of project. However Full Plans is the better way to go if there is sufficient time for the council to check through the job prior to works commencing on site. I wouldn't say the architect has given you bad advice per se.

You can't mix and match. It's either a building notice or full plans. Either way, Building Control will need to see structural calculations.

What the engineer probably means is that in addition to the structural calculations / drawings, they would expect your architect to provide a full set of drawings giving all the information required to satisfy building control (insulation, fire protection and escapes, ventilation, electrics, plumbing, foul water and drainage etc etc). The structural information alone is only a small part of the information required to satisfy building control that your alterations are in line with the current regulations.

However, you don't necessarily have to submit a full plans application. The architect then won't take their existing drawings to Building Regulations status (which would cost you quite a bit of money). Building Control will accept a building notice application (which doesn't include drawings) and usually provide some advice on site. However, this route means putting more trust in your builder as they will need to be more au fait with the current regs, otherwise the risk is that a mistake is made that the building inspector will insist is put right.

The choice is yours!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I wouldn't say the architect has given you bad advice per se.
Of course he has.

Clearly the OP does not know anything about this, and yet his designer is recommending the OP to take a high risk route with builders and no pre-approved plans for either carrying out the works or getting quotes.

And you submit "4-5 applications" a week. :rolleyes:
So you would advise such a client - who knows nothing of building works or the process, to just whack in a Building Notice and think that advice acceptable?

You mean to tell me a loft conversion and ground floor extension can’t be done under a Building Notice. A competent architect and structural engineer would mean they know all the Uvalues, calculations, fire escape, details etc which comply with Building Regs and therefore could be done under a building notice.

many times I have had to do this for example a builder contacts and says right footings are dug can you proceed with building regs. There is no time for a 4-6 week check with Full plans application.

you get a lot of thanks and you are a long time poster by the look of it so will ignore the eye roll. Life is too short to argue

You mean to tell me a loft conversion and ground floor extension can’t be done under a Building Notice
Normally no. And if you read the reply, that is not what it says.

A Notice relies on the client trusting builders in terms of the quote (what are they even quoting for?) and then assuming they are competent to do the work without plans. That's a massive risk.

As the OP needed to post on a DIY site in the first place, his knowledge of building contracts and building work is evident, and no professional should be advising such a client to instruct this type of work on a Notice.

Edit: for spelling.

Last edited:
However Full Plans is the better way to go if there is sufficient time for the council to check through the job prior to works commencing on site.
When would there not be sufficient time? Are there people out there in a rush to get trenches dug and concrete in, whilst the brickie is chomping at the bit with trowel at the ready and mortar urgently turning in the drum. I suppose that mortar needs to be used before it sets...

:whistle:

The poster said the architect has done drawings and the works are simple. If he is confident that his design complies with Building Regs and has done a full spec I see no reason why a Building Notice cannot be used. If he’s got the design wrong then he’s liable not the builder.

believe me I’ve been on jobs where a lot of the house is already up on acros and desperate for calcs etc in order to proceed. Dunno where you guys are from but construction industry is mental in the South East

The poster said the architect has done drawings and the works are simple
It's a loft conversion. How does a client know if building work is simple or not?

You seem to view everything through your own eyes and not appreciate the client's (your client's?) position. Or the fact that a client is not just paying for a drawing, but is paying for a service.

. Dunno where you guys are from
We exist in a place where the design, drawings, engineering, calc's etc are being drawn and approved on future jobs, whilst we are busy doing our current work. It's a simple concept and has the advantage of being ready to go before acros are anywhere near the site.

Seems like you folks darn the Sarf East work backwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back