Who to commission for building regs drawings?

15 Dec 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I'm thinking about a hip-to-gable loft conversion.

I've got a structural engineer to do plans for the floor and roof, etc. to ensure the load is safely carried. He's requested a trial pit to expose the foundations.

I've had an architect draw up simple plans and do volume calculations and been given a certificate by the local planners to confirm it complies with permitted development.

The structural engineer has clarified that he only deals with the load bearing elements off the design. Building Control will require additional construction details to confirm that the other elements of building design such as fire, insulation, stairs are complied with.

Which trade do I need to commission to do this? Back to the architect? Or is there an in-between trade?

I'd like to make a full application to BC rather than just a notice.

Many thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Technically, anyone can draw the plans up, it's just getting the correct building reg spec and terminology on the plans. Why not ring building control and ask for some contact details of people who do this. Ive done that in the past.

I've always found building regs department to be helpful and spot on, planning are a little Hitlers.
Sponsored Links
Why can't the architect who did the planning plans do the regulation plans? That way, he has to get his design to actually work, and someone else won't need to fudge it or alter the approved design.

You should have the regulation plans drawn up, or at least significantly complete before instructing the structural engineer's design work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local