Building Control Drawings

15 Dec 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We're considering having a hip-to-gable loft extension done. I have no experience of such work on a property before. I've watched a few YouTube videos of people who perform the work but I'm not at that stage yet.

I've got an architect to measure up and perform some CAD drawings and calculations. We have now received a certificate of lawful use.

My questions now is how to proceed. The architect can if I wish, work with a structural engineer to produce detailed technical drawings and submit a Building Control application. Obviously there is a fee for this.

Since I'm wet behind the ears on this I want to know if this is necessary? Or can I approach a few builders with my CAD drawings and certificate of lawful use and ask them to give me a quote?

Can I approach an independent structural engineer directly with my CAD drawings and ask them to submit the BC application? Could the builder submit the BC application as part of the job?

Just looking for some advice on the process.

Many thanks all!
Sponsored Links
For a loft conversion, it's usually better to have plans, details and structural items drawn rather than just leaving it to a builder.
Sometimes builders will offer to deal with Building Control but ultimately the responsiility to ensure compliance is with you.
However you arrange this, ensure that inspections are actually carried out - don't just depend on the builder saying "it's OK, it's been checked".
Builders build, designers design, and specialist designers do specialist design. They don't normally do all three, but some may. :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links