A Curious Boiler Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since I moved into my new house, I've had a problem with the water temperature either wildly fluctuating or no hot water at all. I had the boiler checked out, the chap told me the domestic heat exchanger (dhe) needed replacing, suggested I fit a magnaclean and try some X400 to prevent the problem in future. He got the system working temporarily and went.

Anyhow, the system went again (hot water of wildly varying temperature) and so I decided to have a go myself. I removed the dhe, tried giving it a good clean, replaced it and tried firing the boiler up - it wouldn't work - no flame for heating or water. I spent the best part of a week without hot water before the engineer could get to me.

Here's the thing. When he came, he said he couldn't find a problem. I didn't give it much thought at the time. I assumed he had tweaked something, as the system was now working, so left it at that.

Now last week, the system went again. No hot water. Last Monday, working an the advice of the original engineer, I drained the system, fit the magnaclean, changed the dhe, added the X400 and topped the system up again. When I tried to use the hot water and heating - nothing - as before. I left the boiler switched on (so I could try periodically for hot water), but also left the heating timer on, set to come on every day at the same time.

Now, 3 days later, I return from work to find that the boiler is working away merrily and the house is nice and toasty. Not only that, I was able to get the best shower I've had for ages (and, ahem, the only for several days since the problem arose - washing in a sink of boiled water is not fun).

And so I get to my question. Why, on two occasions after I have worked (as described) on the system, has it not worked until several days later? In a couple of weeks, I will need to drain it again to clean out the X400, so I could do without this happening again.

The boiler is a Vokera Maxin 24e. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Ta Muchly.

Sponsored Links
Hi its possible that the hole that allows water to act upon the pressure sensor is blocked and is only allowing water through slowly taking a long time for the sensor to reach the min pressure thus allowing your boiler to operate. when you next drain your system you should remove it and ckeck its clear hope this helps Paul.

could of been air trapped in the boiler, did the pump sound different? how come ya didn't get the engineer back to sort it?

Sludge remover does not make sludge magically disappear. You will find that all the sludge that have been loosened up and broken into finer pieces will move around and cause other problems in future. Mostly in radiators and their valves. Draining a system down cleans very little of the sludge out, especially the heavy and larger pieces.

Sponsored Links
Sludge remover does not make sludge magically disappear. You will find that all the sludge that have been loosened up and broken into finer pieces will move around and cause other problems in future. Mostly in radiators and their valves. Draining a system down cleans very little of the sludge out, especially the heavy and larger pieces.

I dont see anything wrong with what he has said.

To the OP, all that you have said seems to point to air in the system.

Dynamically flushing should prevent that problem. I described that on Gas News some while ago but Kamco copied the idea!

Tony

Look at his web site!

They are promoting power flushing at reasonable charges and have a free or a paid membership which can get leads for power flushing.

I even wondered if I should join up for free but clearly they are in London and will be doing all the London jobs themselves and not passing any to me.

Its also a little unclear how they quote for the job and then persuade their members to do it at that price.

But I dont see anything wrong with it as a concept to do power flushing properly at reasonable prices.

They also have a lot of free advice on the web site even including a section on how to DIY !

Not all these schemes survive though. Ecotechnicians has now been disbanded !

Tony

I had a bad day yesterday!

The afternoon was set aside for a difficult motor valve change but the customer did not respond.

I could have gone to another but he did not text his details until it was too late for me to go.

Another can only let me come after 6 pm and there is only one after 6 pm each day.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back