A few questions about working with MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I've never really had any experience with woodwork, I may need my hand held through this :confused:. I want to build some arcade sticks, but haven't found any suitable boxes, so thought I'd try making my own. I'd be looking to use 12 or 18mm MDF for the sides and 6mm+3mm perspex for the top and bottom, so I hopefully end up with something like this:
http://deansserver.serveftp.com/~Darren/xbox360.html

My questions are:
- what tool should I use to cut the grooves to support the top and bottom?
- what tool should I use to round off the edges of the MDF?
- what is the best process to use to paint MDF and achieve a glossy finish?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo Marmotta and welcome :D :D :D

router or circular saw an 2 or 3 passes

block plane sanding block or electric sander

mdf primmer then undercoat then 3 or 4 gloss coats with a rub down between coats using progressivly finer papper

Thanks - I'll need to buy a router, then. I can get a sanding block from work.

I've never been to my local B&Q in London, but I remember that my local one on Tyneside would cut wood to meaure in store. Is this something all B&Qs do? It would save me a job and it also means I wouldn't have to get a mate to take me there, as I don't have a car and travelling home with a few bigs sheets of MDF would be a right pain ;)

Hi, for the painting bit.... I have used recently a paint for melamine and if you roll it on with a foam roller the finish comes up as good as you would buy it. If you use this paint put on a decent primer first, again using a foam roller. The small size rollers for painting behind radiators are ideal. I would suggest that you get all that you need to paint ready in one hit because after using the melamine paint it is a waste of time trying to save the roller head for re-use.

Sponsored Links
Hi, for the painting bit.... I have used recently a paint for melamine and if you roll it on with a foam roller the finish comes up as good as you would buy it. If you use this paint put on a decent primer first, again using a foam roller. The small size rollers for painting behind radiators are ideal. I would suggest that you get all that you need to paint ready in one hit because after using the melamine paint it is a waste of time trying to save the roller head for re-use.

http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/product.jsp?id=7

Something like this then - although it says no primer is required. Would it still be advisable to prepare the MDF in any way before applying it?

I used the International brand, which is also one coat and I applied it straight over melamine, The lighter colour I used required 2 coats and the colour I was changing from was a light colour to start with. I would give it some primer finish even if it was just to seal your machined finishes, get that right first and then you should have a perfect even base to work from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back