Painting MR-MDF desk

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by mrgazer, 1 Nov 2016.

1. mrgazer

mrgazer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello all,

in process of building a mdf desk at the moment. I have gone for mr mdf and was wondering if someone could shed some light on painting it?
    -what is the procedures of preping it for painting? does it need sanding and priming?
    -What paint should I use?
    -Is it possible to get a glossy finish like you get from a kitchen?
    -Does it need any lacquer to protect it at all?
    -What do I need to use to fill up wood joint to prevent from cracking?

Many thanks guys!
    Gaz

2. mrgazer

mrgazer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    anyone?

3. Sponsored Links
  4. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cut edges need to be sanded out to at least P120 grit. It needs to be primed or sealed, ideally using an MDF primer. Cut edges need to be sealed 3 to 4 times, being allowed to dry and denibbed between coats

Whateve takes your fancy, really. Acrylic paints may work best for you given your next question

Not without a huge amount of work. Flawless high gloss is really only possible in highly controlled environments such as a spray booth and is best done on top of several coats of high solids undercoats. Ordinary gloss finishes are obtainable, but your prep (sanding and sealing) needs to be flawless

That depends on what you use as the finish coat

Your wood joints shouldn't need much filler if you've made a good job of them. The best filler is a 2-pack wood filler or failing that a 2-pack car body filler. Either way they need to be properly sanded-in and primed before painting.

I find it's not always possible to get a prompt response on subjects simply because people are away from time to time, etc but in general you will get a response within a day or two.

5. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Short bristle rollers give a nice finish but can be hard to find.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links