Painting MR-MDF desk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

in process of building a mdf desk at the moment. I have gone for mr mdf and was wondering if someone could shed some light on painting it?
-what is the procedures of preping it for painting? does it need sanding and priming?
-What paint should I use?
-Is it possible to get a glossy finish like you get from a kitchen?
-Does it need any lacquer to protect it at all?
-What do I need to use to fill up wood joint to prevent from cracking?

Many thanks guys!
Gaz

Sponsored Links
- What is the procedures of preping it for painting? does it need sanding and priming?
Cut edges need to be sanded out to at least P120 grit. It needs to be primed or sealed, ideally using an MDF primer. Cut edges need to be sealed 3 to 4 times, being allowed to dry and denibbed between coats

- What paint should I use?
Whateve takes your fancy, really. Acrylic paints may work best for you given your next question

- Is it possible to get a glossy finish like you get from a kitchen?
Not without a huge amount of work. Flawless high gloss is really only possible in highly controlled environments such as a spray booth and is best done on top of several coats of high solids undercoats. Ordinary gloss finishes are obtainable, but your prep (sanding and sealing) needs to be flawless

- Does it need any lacquer to protect it at all?
That depends on what you use as the finish coat

- What do I need to use to fill up wood joint to prevent from cracking?
Your wood joints shouldn't need much filler if you've made a good job of them. The best filler is a 2-pack wood filler or failing that a 2-pack car body filler. Either way they need to be properly sanded-in and primed before painting.

I find it's not always possible to get a prompt response on subjects simply because people are away from time to time, etc but in general you will get a response within a day or two.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back