A few questions regarding extending attic room.. BC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the current attic room in the house could easily be made bigger by taking down the two false walls at either side and extending into the eaves that are currently used for storage. The space in there is quite large and would benefit the room great. Its not much work really, just plaster board, new insulation, some floorboards and plastering. Would i need to notify building control or anything like that? I'm not making any alterations to load bearing walls or anything like that just taking some wood out and moving it further back.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
If your changing the room from storage to bedroom, you may require planning permission for change of use.
But if no change of use and no structural alterations and your not compromising the fire integrity, that is protecting the structure, the only thing would be comply to building regulations no need to notify just comply.

Thanks for the reply. Based on what you said i just need to comply with building regulations which is simple enough for what i'm doing as i'd be using the appropriate insulation anyway.

On one side of the room is a dormer window with either side encasing another fake wall into the eaves it is hard to explain. One side i will remove the fake wall to open up the room. The other i plan to extend the fake wall a little and add a normal sized door into the fake wall. This room would be plenty head height and also the sloping roof. I then plan once the rest of the room is done and money permitting to add a toilet and sink into here. It is easily accessible to the water supply (literally already in place as the main bathroom is underneath and shower supply is up there) and the wall the toilet would sit on is external with the soil pipe on the same wall.

It is not something i would do straight away but is there anything i should consider when making this 'new' little room when plastered and everything etc.. I would use it as a storage room for now.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Yes some thought would go into that. As it would only be a Toilet & Sink would an extractor fan be needed as no moisture would be getting into the air really.

The lighting can be sorted fairly easily as one wall of this new part already houses the wiring and switch for the bedroom so it can be linked off that with its down switch in place. I am unsure yet but will do some more searching that i would not have to have someone come in for Part P as there is no shower or bath in the room.

Thanks for the reply.

You would require electrical notification for any new circuits were required but not alteration or additions to existing circuits, and regardless of whether any work was notifiable, the work still has to be compliant to part p and a number of other building regulations that are related to electrical installations.
You will need to ensure all cables are routed within permitted safe zones, any cables buried less than 50mm within walls (any surface) if not mechanically protected(metal capping, does not qualify as mechanical protection), will require 30mA RCD protection and socket outlets will require require 30 mA RCD protection anyway.
There are permitted depths a chase can be in solid walls (no greater than 1/6th of leaf/skin of wall horizontally and 1/3rd vertically) also the holing joist have regulation.
And it is advisable to have the work inspected and tested, to prove it is safe to use.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:route
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:inspection_and_testing

So the current attic room in the house could easily be made bigger by taking down the two false walls at either side and extending into the eaves that are currently used for storage. The space in there is quite large and would benefit the room great. Its not much work really, just plaster board, new insulation, some floorboards and plastering. Would i need to notify building control or anything like that? I'm not making any alterations to load bearing walls or anything like that just taking some wood out and moving it further back.

cheers.

How do you know that the 'wood' isnt acting as a prop for the purlins supporting your roof ?
Or that your attic roof is actually attic trusses and the false walls are actually a structural element ?

Do you know how your roof was constructed ? IE Traditional loose cut roof, with rafters, purlins, binders, ceiling joists or Pre-manufactured Attic Roof Trusses (metal plates on the joints)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back