A few questions...

you can't make a statement like that when you clearly have no business sense atall. You and others like you are driving the industry prices down, making lots of legitamate, competent, qualifies and INSURED people loose out on work, and then wonder why you get laid off?????

Skip doing the work and go straight to Oz, you wouldnt want to be extrodited in 6 months when your work fails and burns down somewhere and you are found liable, without insurance,i wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

If you dont understand the remedial list then maybe you should go and sit the C&G 2391, it's expensive (alot more than a regs book) but atleasy you would have a slight idea.

You cannot do electrical work for reward without the following five things -

Suitable qualifications
Knowledge and understanding
Regs
Test equipment
Insurance

Sponsored Links
Just to get this straight.

You hve been asked to carry out remedial work, but don't know what is required.

You are an electricain, but you don't have a copy of the regs as they are too expensive.

You don't have test equipment, but your old employer will either lend you a set, or come and test for you. This is after you have undercut him.

The only reason you can work so cheap is you are a cowboy. :rolleyes:

That's why im asking.

Yes, and as im planning on going to Australia for a year asap, buying a set of regs to consult for (hopefully) less than 6 weeks would be a waste of money, and wasting money is something i am trying to avoid (what with going to Australia for a year)

We'll be getting someone else to sign it off.
how do you expect to be taken seriously when you say that above, then go on to say that below????

I understand the noble idea of stopping your dad being ripped off, but you stand a chance of leaving him with a much worse problem at a greater cost since you don't seem to understand the rules of engagement..

Re-think your strategy and get someone in who understands what is required.
Not a cowboy in the slightest I take pride in my work and do the best job that I can. However, after spending an entire apprenticeship doing either aeriels or housebashing out council houses I have very limited abilities in the testing/inspection side of things and, as a result, don't fully understand the remedials list. That is the trouble with working for a company with a seperate testing section who don't even go to the same yard as the rest of the sparkies.

And I'm not working particularly cheap either but undercutting a company that not only are ripoff merchants but overcharge my own dad is not something I'm going to feel guilty about.

Fair dinkum to you for at least asking.

However doing work that you are not sure about is asking for trouble.

To even pretend to be competent without Regs or testers is not on. Maybe this company that you are undercutting is more expensive because they do take the trouble to have properly trained sparks; calibrated meters; Regs books and insurance.

What was the name of the company that you use for your Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance?

I expect we'll see you back quickly from Oz because they have far stricter electrical safety standards and a version of Part P that actually works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back