A Funny Story

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a second hand BT Freestyle 750 answerphone with handset on ebay for upstairs.

Plugged it all in. Didn't work. OK, so it did powerwise, but there was no dial tone. So I got my phone socket tester and plugged it in. "Rev" light comes on (AB reversal) but it works. Odd. Tried the line cord from the previous Panasonic cordless phone base. Nothing.

I thought maybe the handset needed pairing with the base, so did that. Nothing.
So I register the ebay handset to my existing base unit downstairs, which is identical. I get a line on the newly bought handset.
So now I'm thinking the base unit I bought may be dud.

I unplug the base from downstairs and attach it to the cables upstairs. Nothing. Then I try the Panasonic line cord. Also nothing.

So I go downstairs and borrow the line cord from the downstairs base unit, plugging it into the upstairs phone socket and the upstairs base unit.

Lo and behold it works!

So, still puzzled, I try the Panasonic lead in the Panasonic base and that works too.

The only conclusion I can draw is that not all line cords are wired in the same way. The plug fitted perfectly, but I can only assume the connections are different.

Have just tried several non-BT line cords and none work in the 750 base unit.

I knew some modem leads were cross-wired, but thought line cords for phones were all pretty much straight through.

You live and learn...

Edited for additional information.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have ordered what is described as a "straight through" lead. Fingers crossed...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back