A Game Changer For The Industry

Sponsored Links
If he's quick.

Then it will be the forty quid drive-by piece of paper with a name to blame when something goes wrong.

If he's quick.

Then it will be the forty quid drive-by piece of paper with a name to blame when something goes wrong.
That would be depressing. Does sound as though HMG have put some thought in- wonder how much credential checking is done when you register on their PRS scheme site.

Sponsored Links
That would be depressing. Does sound as though HMG have put some thought in- wonder how much credential checking is done when you register on their PRS scheme site.
Given how much (or how little) meaning some of the 'credentials' around have, I'm not so sure that would necessarily make all that much difference!

Kind Regards, John

When I looked I saw nothing about registering for England and Wales, all it says is:-
Who can test the electric circuit

The qualified person is someone who is competent to perform the inspections or the works.

The simplest way of identifying a competent person would be to refer to someone with the qualifications laid out in the recent update to the Electrotechnical Assessment Specifications. This includes people with industry recognised apprenticeships or Level 3 Certificates in Level 3 Certificate in Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings.
It also says:-
Wales

Landlords are expected to provide a safe property throughout the tenancy. This includes ensuring that the wiring, fuse boxes, etc are not dangerous. As such, for all landlords a regular visual inspection of the property to identify any potential issues with the electrical system is always a good idea. If you fail to do this, and a problem arises in the property, then you may be considered negligent if the tenants are harmed or suffer damage to their own goods. In addition, if you have a house in multiple occupation (HMO) you are required to have an electrical installation condition report (EICR) performed every 5 years. It is also recommended for properties that are not HMOs but it is not a legal requirement.

So if my son wants to rent out his house, then he does not need an EICR as not multiple occupation and even if he did, he has simply to complete an EICR and sign the paperwork, the C&G 2391 is a level 3 certificate. He would be daft to do it without insurance, but that is not expensive anyway.

As he says code 3 is still satisfactory, and in the main we use the electrical safety councils guide lines as to what is code 2 and what is code 3, so a plastic CU in the only escape route or under wooden stairs which are the only escape route would be class 2, but anywhere else your OK.

This to me is a problem as I am not qualified to decide what is an escape route. I know my windows have a button that can be pressed to allow them to open wide so you can escape from them, however in last house that was fair enough I could walk down the roof and climb down the tree, this house not so easy without some assistance, however can escape even if likely you would be injured in the attempt, so is it an escape route, I would say yes as building regulations require the window to open as a means of escape.

However I don't feel I am qualified to answer the question.

So as long as insured, don't care if law says you need it or not, one would be daft to do an EICR without it, I can in spite of never taking my 18th edition do an EICR, it is my professional opinion. And when I do it there is no requirement for the owner to tell me if the house is going up for sale, just been bought, or going to rent it. I simply do the inspection and test and complete the report. I would not actually do a report as not insured, but I could.

What I think it is down to is what the letting agent wants, although I can take the exam and rent direct, personally I would not want to have the hassle.

As to 28 days to correct, if a house is unfit to live in, then the landlords insurance should cover, so you simply say to tenant sorry you need to move out, the same as if house damaged by flood water.

He does have some points, as an electrician when the EICR is submitted to the council clearly it needs to be right, but I tried to google to see this list of people in my case of course on the Welsh PRS scheme EICR site, and all I could find was the " Code of Practice Consultation Responses - GOV.WALES" where there concern seems to be "the loss of a PRS tenancy is the second highest contributor to homelessness." so they are not keen on making the requirements tighter.

I simply can't find the register or any reference to it, I agree it would be a good idea and think it has been done in Scotland. It would stop people like me who have the level 3 well I have level 5 but that is beside the point, but my level 3 is out of date, so I should be stopped from doing an EICR, but it seems no such law in Wales, I can do one if I want.

What I hope is some one can publish a link to show I am wrong of course to a government web site not some organisation pouting for business, so will watch this thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back