a handy thing....

asc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....would be a cooker switch type fitting without the socket but it still covers the width of a double switch size. I know there is the single 45A cooker switch, and the double cooker switch with the socket, but there are ocassions (Zs) when it would be handy to simply remove the socket by replacing it with a double cooker switch without the socket.
Does anyone know if this is available anywhere?

Sponsored Links
Dunno, but what has Zs got to do with it? Are you saying that you've got a cooker circuit that's so long or so flaky that you can't meet the disconnection time for a socket, so your plan is to do away with it in order to only need a 5s time?

BS3036 0.4s Zs=0.49....5s Zs=1.32
So yes..a simple or temporary solution for Zs woes, but also often the cooker socket is the only one not RCD protected so again an effective solution

Yes. Loads of accessory manufacturers do them. Try MK K5215 or BG 973 or Contactum 2747 (do not confuse with MK d/s/s!)
The only thing is, the switch will be in the horizontal plane, not the vertical.

Sponsored Links
0.45??

What on earth is the fuse rating?? :eek:

Mind you - it always makes me laugh to see a requirement for Zs to be lower than the by-enquiry Ze of 0.8ohms for a TN-S supply.

Can you get cables with -ve resistance?

a requirement for Zs to be lower than the by-enquiry Ze of 0.8ohms for a TN-S supply.
Which is why a smith and wessson beats four aces. (as per the cowboy films)
Or a proper measureemnet beats four phone calls.

And in any case, there can always be a fault in company earth and meter tails that is missed.- see the thread on live bath taps. (which does sound remarkably unlucky...)
If in doubt MEASURE.
regards Mike

ban-all-sheds said:
0.45??

What on earth is the fuse rating?? :eek:

Mind you - it always makes me laugh to see a requirement for Zs to be lower than the by-enquiry Ze of 0.8ohms for a TN-S supply.

Can you get cables with -ve resistance?
yes fuses SUCK for 0.4 sec disconnect cuircuits (and presumabblly suck even worse for 0.2 sec disconnect circuits).

not negative resistance but you can have negative reactance so you can at least try and negate some of the imaginary part of the impedance. (btw when most sparks say impendance they really mean the magnitude of impedance. adding the magnitude of impedances will generally give a higher value than adding the complex impedances.

theres also the issue of transiant behavior in a fault though this is not too relavent to disconnect times as even the shortest disconnect time requirements are a good 10 cycles.

Whats the rating of the cooker, could you get away with 20amp fuse Zs 1.4

it's all getting a bit too technical....thanks securespark, I had looked at these but I had hoped there was a product which would suit without having a switch which looks as if it is mounted sideways.

Amazing what you can stir up with a simple question, when I was an apprentice the storeman always wanted to know what you wanted a particular item for eg "could I have a 1/8" drill"
"what do you want that for?" would be the grumpy reply...as you can imagine he didn't always get the answer he hoped for!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back