a hidden leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i went to turn the water off at the rising main in a corner behind a cupboard with just a slot to get my hand in,and discovered the wood behind the gate valve and above and below it soaked like a sponge with a nice smell like someone had worn the same socks to the gym for a month. theres a kitchen worktop above then two feet of tiles and then boxed in up to the ceiling. approx 1 foot above gate valve theres a compression tee and from here the pipe goes across then down to a plastic tee with one branch going to the washing m/c and then the other pipe going down below the tiles to go across to sink at opposite end. another pipe comes down from ceiling seperated from rising main by a strip of wood and this is the hot pipe to washing m/c and sink tap. i evantually traced leak to where the 15mm copper hot pipe is welded onto a lot thicker lentgh of lead pipe that travels up to the ceiling and prob beyond. i got a fitting from merchants that connects copper to lead and my question is do i leave wet wood to dry behind pipes or should i rip it out. this leak may have been going on for years. also you would think to look at rising main that it had a leak too as there are droplets of water the full length of the pipe. could this be condensation? finally should a gate valve only be for low pressure and should i change it for a stopcock? sorry for a big long one and all help much appreciated?

Sponsored Links
Phew! That took a lot of concentration to read and follow all that!

Leave the wood to dry out.

A gate valve is designed for reducing flow but not specifically to turn off high pressures. But they do usually perform very well indeed and I would say leave it there.

In a damp environment any cold water pipe will be covered in condensation.

I thinks thats all the questions answered.

Perhaps next time you could read a book on punctuation before posting?

Tony

thks tony thats a great help. its hard enough to find the letters never mind throw in punctuation as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back