How to access a leaking waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hall ceiling is becoming stained, suggesting a leaking pipe from the bathroom above. It is not a regular leak, but the staining has increased in line with the use of the wash basin above. I think that it coud well be a leaking waste pipe, not a water pipe.l

To access any of the hidden bathroom pipes from inside the bathroom be difficult because the bathroom floor consists of modern laminate flooring glued on to regular floorboards - not easy as the laminate runs in a different direction to the floorboards.

My question is this. Would it be easier to access the pipe(s) from below - i.e. by taking out a section of the hall ceiling? If so, would it be difficult to replace the section of ceiling taken out or would the whole ceiling need to be replaced.

Another possibility might be to find a sealing solution which I could pour down the pipe. Is this a runner?

Any advice would be welcome.

Sincerely,

Dorabella.

Sponsored Links
Normally I cut a small hole in the ceiling and check what needs to be done, then go from there.

Andy

If you cut a hole in the ceiling, the repair is likely to show unless you are (or employ) a plasterer.

If the ceiling is plasterboard (not L&P) and if you have a multicutter or plasterboard saw so you can trim the removed section back to joists, you can cut and nail up a new piece, but it is fairly difficult to hide the join, and the texture will not match if the old ceiling was skimmed.

Bathroom floors ought to be capable of being lifted.

Sponsored Links
Insurance companies prefer if a hole is cut in a ceiling than lifting a bathroom floor, due to H & S for the policy holder.

Andy

OP,
given you dont know what's causing the stain then hold fire on opening anything up.
using a torch, carefully examine all exposed waste pipes and water supplies.
run all taps and valves one at a time and observe in the b/room & below.
concealed waste pipes should always be glued, not push fit.

assuming you have a p/b not plaster laths ceiling then :
water damaged plasterboard has to be replaced so mark straight pencil lines around the staining.
and using a knife cut out a neat square of the p/b - wear gloves & glasses.
retain the square.
examine the pipework by running taps etc.
after fixing any leak then a template of the square can be screwed back in place, and be made good with tape and Easifill or skim plaster.

fwiw: shower spray on bath rims often causes water damage - removing the bath panel is needed to investigate.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hi All,

Thank you for the valuable advice. Builder called in to take out section of ceiling. The leak has been accessed and now awaiting a plumber. I appreciate the help. Once again, many thanks.

Sincerely,

Dorabella

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back