Leak Under Bathroom Floor Inaccessible

Thanks for all the help, thought I'd let you know how it went.

I followed hertsdrainage advice and took it carefully, removed a small area of plaster cut using a straightedge. I bought a drywall saw which cut through the laths easily. The leak was where I expected it so I opened up the hole to get at it, fixed the leak then made good with a piece of plasterboard and plastered over that.

I've never plastered a ceiling before so much of it ended up on my head, but I'm pleased with the results.

Thanks again all.

Sponsored Links
Probably a circular saw would be better if you can face all the airbourne dust that would make.

OP., that is about the most dangerous advice I've seen on this forum! DON'T do it. I have a fein multi saw, which is fantastic but stupidly expensive, but cheaper versions are available.

I once attended to a water leak. I was convinced it was actually rainwater throogh chimney flashing. It turned out to be a leak from a rad on the other side of the house. Amazing, but true,. The water just ran through the house alongthe lath and plaster till it found an area to pool and stain the ceiling.

Have you had the bath panel off to check joints under there?

Finally, have you considered your home insurance. You are not likely to be covered for the leak repair itself, but you can normally claim for the damage to the ceiling.

LOL. Nice one OP. I took so long composing the above (and answering phone calls etc) that you posted before me.

Its unlikely that he could claim for anything more than the cost of materials if he did the repair himself.

In any case the excess on policies is usually several hundred pounds.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile";p="1962503 said:
Its unlikely that he could claim for anything more than the cost of materials if he did the repair himself.
Agile";p="1962503 said:
My point was in relation to the leak not being at the obvious place, and extensive work may have been required to reinstate, by a contractor. As it is, the OP did well and sorted it. And posted his result during the time I spent composing

In any case the excess on policies is usually several hundred pounds.

Rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back