Leak Under Bathroom Floor Inaccessible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak from a waste pipe under my bathroom floor, I'm pretty sure it's where two different size waste pipes are joined. Problem is the bathroom floor is tiled on top of plywood sheeting and there's no way I want to take up the whole floor to get at the leak.

The alternative is to get at the leak from the utility room ceiling below. I'd need to remove a section of the ceiling (lath and plaster) below the leak, repair the joint and then replaster the hole.

Is that a viable way to do this?

Sponsored Links
If you really can't face pulling up the tiles then attacking it from below is the only option.and probably less costly to make good.Be sure you know where the pipe runs to keep the ceiling removal as small as possible.

Thanks, both.

Yes, I can see where the leak is, and reading forums sounds like I need to minimise the area of ceiling I remove and do it carefully to cut down on the mess. Lath and plaster.

Sponsored Links
are you sure you know where the leak is? any visible signs could just be where the waste is seeping through,, the leak could be elsewhere

The leak is Under the tiled floor - I can see the damp on the ceiling below, it's pretty obvious where it's coming from.

I'm just apprehensive about cutting in to the lath and plaster ceiling and being able to fix the joint. I remember the joint before the tiled floor went down, suspect it's a 32mm solvent pipe to push fit join. Is should put a new compression joint in?

You might be right but when I bought my house there had been signs of leakage in the kitchen ceiling, when I removed the ceiling there was no plumbing anywhere near the damp spots, the leak was infact coming from various plumbing around and under the bath which was 4 metres away from the damaged area

there's only one way to find out though :)

The leak is Under the tiled floor - I can see the damp on the ceiling below, it's pretty obvious where it's coming from.

You would be surprised at where a leak can be and where it shows up on the ceiling below. ;)

If its a lath and plaster ceiling, I'd consider taking the whole lot down and redoing it using plasterboard.....I think it would be going some to do a successful patch.
John :)

another option could be (depending on layout etc) - repiping the waste from the leaking appliance, but depends on layout / space etc

I have cut many ceilings to fix burst/leaking pipework.

What you should do is cut a neat hole approx 300mm x 300mm, that way you can look where the leak is coming from and extend the hole in the right direction. Cut the hole neatly (marked out with a straight edge) and from joist to joist, as it will be easy to cut a piece of plasterboard to fit.

Or rip the whole ceiling down, fix faulty pipework and insulate ceiling then fit 2 sheets of 12mm plaster board and have it re-plastered.

Andy

Lath and plaster ceilings can be a right bugger if messed about with.

Go careful as the laths can be a right pain to cut through and if you move them about to much it will weaken the ceiling.

I am not saying its the only or even the best way but I have used a fast revving jigsaw to slowly cut through the laths!

Probably a circular saw would be better if you can face all the airbourne dust that would make.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back