Gaining access to a leak from ceiling below

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a leak that appears to be coming from an upstairs shower. There's a water stain on the ceiling below that gets bigger every day. Unfortunately the pipes for the shower are inaccessible - beneath a fully enclosed shower cubicle on top of a ceramic tiled floor. To access the pipes from the bathroom I'd need to rip out the shower and rip up the floor - a huge job.

I'm wondering if I can access the pipes more easily by cutting out a piece of the ceiling below. However I have no idea if the leaking pipe will be accessible from beneath if I do this. Does anyone know if it's likely I'll be able to see (and somehow repair) the leaking pipe by going through the ceiling beneath? I don't want to rip down half my kitchen ceiling only to find I can't do anything about the problem from below. But not sure what other option I have!

Sponsored Links
Repairing a ceiling is a lot easier than removing and replacing tiles and shower tray, so I would investigate from the ceiling b ed low and with a bit of luck your leak will be right there, in between the joists.
If instead the leak is along the wall, where the pipes go up to the shower bar, then unfortunately you'll have to remove some tiles.
But again, I would investigate by removing a bit of the ceiling below.
Or, if you have an inspection camera, you could drill a hole in the ceiling below and see if you can find the problem, then make a decision.
It could simply be a tee between the joists, they seem to be the usual culprits.
Good luck.

That's great advice - I've found an inspection camera online and bought it - seems well worth trying to isolate the problem with a small hole first before tearing everything down, thanks.

Sponsored Links
I bought a Draper endoscope camera which is brilliant - and with just a small hole drilled in the ceiling revealed this (see image below). I'm wondering if this is something easy to replace (reasonably competent DIY-er standard) or if I'm going to need a plumber to be sure it's done right?

IMG_5707.jpeg

That joint is solvent welded ( badly).The fitting will need cutting out ,replacing , and pipework ammended to achieve this. And a hole cut in the ceiling ,large enough to be able to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back