Leaking Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate some advice with how to fix a leaking pipe.The pipe is located above a bedroom ceiling and has a very small hole in it that has been very slowly dripping, causing the plasterboard to fall apart. Above the bedroom if the bathroom.

I think the problem has been caused by flux being left on the pipe as its green. Attached is a photo.

The pipe is a mains 15mm that goes to the bathroom toilet. The pipe runs up and behind the toilet, is very difficult to access & the bathroom floor is fully tiled.

The pipes have been fitted very close together and they run through joists at either side. The pipes are so close that there is only a blades width between them. No room to cut the pipe or fit a bandage.

Any ideas on how to repair / replace the pipe?

Attachments

• 20160505_194655_resized.jpg
    20160505_194655_resized.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 155
Sponsored Links
You will probably need a plumber on this.
Maybe the pipe, or the leaking inaccessible section of the pipe, can be abandoned and a plastic pipe can be tied in at a convenient position, and then looped past the leak to another convenient position for tieing-in to the copper. In other words: inserting a length of plastic pipe into a copper pipe run.
There are various options on this method but without knowing far more about the layout of the house and the plumbing installation its difficult, for me anyway, to advise you further.
Personally. I wouldn't trust that copper pipe, I'd shoot for abandoning the whole run.

A plumber on site might see a possibility of cutting out the two plastic wastes to gain access to the leak?

What are the grey waste pipes? Sink? Shower?

I'd confirm what they are and remove a section of the grey waste pipe and you'll then be able to cut the offending pipe and repair before reinstating the wastes.

Claim on your home insurance you might get a new floor and ceiling (y)

Sponsored Links
Claim on your home insurance you might get a new floor and ceiling (y)

But not the cost of the repair to the pipe! They only cover the damage caused, not the cause - another great from the policy makers :cautious:

I'd say that the floor has to come up! I wouldn't fancy trying to repair that successfully, in that restricted environment... Pipes are way too close together anyway, if one of those is a hot pipe, you must be getting a heat exchange!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back