Soil Pipe leaking In Wall (Lead to Plastic) !

With respect to Delta - I`d go from inside and if necessary heat and bell out the lead to take a finned connector inside of the lead pipe . I`d rather sit on a floor and work than off a ladder ;)

Very true mate, but the chances are the lead is shot, or it will be when you put your cold chisel right through it!!!.............. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I did wonder if it might have perished - depends on the strength of the liquid going down it - I`ll bet they have Laboratory Grade pipe in Glasgow`s Gents conveniences ;)

Not sure about that mate??? Cottaging has never been one of my hobbies!!
Have you ever 'come across' George Michael as you travel around the Public Parks & Railway Stations??

Sponsored Links
It's worked for me in the past.

Packing joints in cast iron fittings with putty and hemp used to be a way of sealing joints in the past. The plumbers mate route is a modern alternative. Its not the best solution (or guaranteed permanent solution) but it should work if done properly and last for a few years.

Is it just the photo or does the soil pipe extension off the back of the toilet taper down quite substantially?

Pics as promised.

The simpler the solution the better as far as I'm concerned.

Will filling the joint with Plumbers Mate work as this definitely seems the simplest solution and would save having to remive any tiles.

OMG!! Look at the colour of that low level WC??!!
At £50 for a new bog from B&Q, is it not time you replaced that eyesore?? And Jocks are tight??.............Bloody hell!!

Look Nige, there's a flat roof, so you can work from that!!

Sponsored Links
OMG!! Look at the colour of that low level WC??!!
At £50 for a new bog from B&Q, is it not time you replaced that eyesore?? And Jocks are tight??.............Bloody hell!!

Look Nige, there's a flat roof, so you can work from that!![/quote]

The whole bathroom suites that colour and so its not just a matter of replacing the WC !

I think I'll definitely try going down the Plumbers Mate route first and, if not successful, then start bashing holes in the wall.

I think I'd be looking to get a new plastic pipe right through the wall with a new 90 degree elbow on the outside.

Then another short run of plastic before attempting a new joint to the old lead pipe, right out in the open where it's nice and easy to fix.

I think I'd be looking to get a new plastic pipe right through the wall with a new 90 degree elbow on the outside.

Then another short run of plastic before attempting a new joint to the old lead pipe, right out in the open where it's nice and easy to fix.

Do you mean removing the lead completely ! If so, how will the lead pipe be fixed to the cast iron stack and will it be easy to remove ?

I think I'd be looking at a new Bathroom suite FFS!!! Is your missus happy cleaning that, Buzz??

Do you mean removing the lead completely ! If so, how will the lead pipe be fixed to the cast iron stack and will it be easy to remove ?

No I was thinking that the plastic to lead pipe join might be better if it was just out in the open where you can keep an eye on it.

I'd probably be wary about disturbing the stack itself and would likely try and make the join not far down from the 90 degree bend.

It's hard to judge the lead pipe size and condition from a photo though.

No I was thinking that the plastic to lead pipe join might be better if it was just out in the open where you can keep an eye on it.

I'd probably be wary about disturbing the stack itself and would likely try and make the join not far down from the 90 degree bend.

It's hard to judge the lead pipe size and condition from a photo though.

The lead soil pipe has been compressed after the 90 degree bend (but has never caused a blockage) and so finding a decent piece of lead to couple up too before the CI stack will be difficult.

Surely you can stump up for a new bathroom suite for your old Mum & Dad??

I'd do anything for mine, you just can't buy that unconditional love. They fed me & went without themselves. They put clothes on my back & never bought a thing for themselves. I lost my Dad a few years ago & I miss him every day, but I'm lucky I still have my old Mum. You know life is a lottery & you win that lottery when you're born into a family with loving caring, parents.

So c'mon Buzz don't just fix that old lead pipe, get them a new suite.

This is a picture of the where the lead soil pipe connects to the CI stack which I'm very reluctant to mess with for fear of creating/finding a bigger
problem than we have already.

Surely you can stump up for a new bathroom suite for your old Mum & Dad??

You have to remember that some people (particularly those of the older generation) actually like coloured bathroom suites and if given the chnace of a new suite would actually choose the same (or a similar) colour.

Jade Green/Torquoise would certainly not be my choice but they're quite happy with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back