Leaking soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My problem:
When emptying the bath, water is running down the outside of the main soil pipe - soil pipe is encased into the wall until it reaches about 2ft above the floor level in the kitchen.

If running the shower a small amount of water might leak, but not all of the time.

Emptying the bathroom sink and flushing the toilet is fine and nothing leaks.

Initially thought it might be a problem with the pipe from the bath to the soil pipe. Have taken off a section of tiling from the bathroom wall to gain access to where the pipe from the bath runs into the soil pipe and there is no sign of a problem.

Suspecting there might be a leak somewhere between where my 'new' access hole is and where the pipe drops in through the kitchen.

Would a leak be dependent on the volume of water which is why it is only causing a problem when the bath is draining?

I thought there might be a partial blockage somewhere in the pipe, but having checked under then manhole in the garden it appears to be draining ok.

Any thoughts or ideas of where to go next appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This issue certainly points to where the bath drain couples into the soil stack - usually a collar is used if its PVC.
Can you check this again, and tell us if the bath / shower / wash hand basin connect into the same pipe? Maybe they have their own collars somewhere.
John :)

Hi - thanks for your response.

The shower is just an attachment to the bath so uses the same drain. The wash basin has a different connection strainght into the soil pipe.

I will check again - it's a tight squeeze to get any decent view so I might've missed something.

I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again

Gavin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back