Soil Pipe leaking In Wall (Lead to Plastic) !

I'd be interested to hear anyones thoughts on removing the lead soil pipe completely and in particular with regard to potential problems disconnecting from the CI stack.

Would it be best to leave well alone ?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
This is a picture of the where the lead soil pipe connects to the CI stack which I'm very reluctant to mess with for fear of creating/finding a bigger
problem than we have already.

That`s an unusual connection , with the stub of iron pipe out the tee , but it works in your favour for a DIY repair to start with . . First measure the diameter of the lead pipe next to the stub that`s pipenailed to the wall , then get a Fernco coupling for that size to 110mm plastic soil . Next remove WC and start cutting out brickwork around pipe on outside wall - when you can see the dodgy connection in the wall , go inside and pull out the plastic soil - leaving a neat hole in the tiled wall . Cut the lead near to the nailed "ears" of the iron stub - use a cheap carpenters throwaway handsaw . Connect it all up with plastic through the wall and onto the WC outlet . Worst case scenario is the fernco leaks a tad onto the flat roof , it`ll seal up eventually ;) The soil stack looks like a light cast one - so best left alone or replaced complete - but this could be done later from the repair you do now :idea:

With respect to Delta - I`d go from inside and if necessary heat and bell out the lead to take a finned connector inside of the lead pipe . I`d rather sit on a floor and work than off a ladder ;)

Very true mate, but the chances are the lead is shot, or it will be when you put your cold chisel right through it!!!.............. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I did wonder if it might have perished - depends on the strength of the liquid going down it - I`ll bet they have Laboratory Grade pipe in Glasgow`s Gents conveniences ;)

Not sure about that mate??? Cottaging has never been one of my hobbies!!
Have you ever 'come across' George Michael as you travel around the Public Parks & Railway Stations??
:LOL: No but I`ve seen a 4" pipe blocked with limescale from a pub where the urinals weren`t flushing . There must be a few gallons of processed whisky going down Scotlands drains

This is a picture of the where the lead soil pipe connects to the CI stack which I'm very reluctant to mess with for fear of creating/finding a bigger
problem than we have already.

That`s an unusual connection , with the stub of iron pipe out the tee , but it works in your favour for a DIY repair to start with . . First measure the diameter of the lead pipe next to the stub that`s pipenailed to the wall , then get a Fernco coupling for that size to 110mm plastic soil . Next remove WC and start cutting out brickwork around pipe on outside wall - when you can see the dodgy connection in the wall , go inside and pull out the plastic soil - leaving a neat hole in the tiled wall . Cut the lead near to the nailed "ears" of the iron stub - use a cheap carpenters throwaway handsaw . Connect it all up with plastic through the wall and onto the WC outlet . Worst case scenario is the fernco leaks a tad onto the flat roof , it`ll seal up eventually ;) The soil stack looks like a light cast one - so best left alone or replaced complete - but this could be done later from the repair you do now :idea:

Thank you Nigel F, you make it sound very simple !

I take it that the Fernco coupling will fit inside the lead soil pipe that remains in the CI stub !

Could you please post a link to the type of Fernco coupling I would be looking to install.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
www.fernco.com click on the GB flag and you get the UK flexseal site - complete with size of pipe selector ;) . I`m suggesting you use that on the outside of the pipe because to get a finned connector inside the lead would probably involve heating and dressing the lead out to a larger diameter

www.fernco.com click on the GB flag and you get the UK flexseal site - complete with size of pipe selector ;) . I`m suggesting you use that on the outside of the pipe because to get a finned connector inside the lead would probably involve heating and dressing the lead out to a larger diameter

Thanks again Nigel F.

I don't see a coupling specified as plastic to lead and, as there are so many different types to choose from, I wouldn't want to get the wrong one.

Which type do you recommend ?

I take it I will have to leave at least a couple of inches of the lead soil pipe after the CI stub connection in order to fix the Fernco coupling on to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back