lead soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys - i am fitting a new close coupled toilet..ive noticed that the soil pipe going out the wall had lots and lots of sticky mastic/plasticine type stuff on the outside of it which was connected to the old toilet pan..having pulled the pan away from the soil pipe the inside also had lots of this stuff on it..i presume it was to make it watertight..i noticed that the soil pipe is lead..its approximataly 5.25 inches in diameter although it may be less as it doesnt seem very round cos its lead...how do i connect a new pan to this lead soil pipe..hers a picture of it..

IMAG0121.jpg

Sponsored Links
you need a mcalpine multikwik pan connector for the pan and multikwik extention to go into the lead either 4" or 3.5". ( i think 3.5" going by the pic) put the extention into the lead and skelp it with the shaft of your hammer or similar to hit it fully home, then fit the pan connector to the pan and line it up in position, mark where the extention is to be cut then fit the pan into it, you might want to consider cutting the lead as near the wall as possible to get rid of the faucet, use an old wood saw it cuts easy

Sponsored Links
thanks guys for the quick response..will have a go when ive got some time..ill try

"you need a mcalpine multikwik pan connector for the pan and multikwik extention to go into the lead either 4" or 3.5". ( i think 3.5" going by the pic) put the extention into the lead and skelp it with the shaft of your hammer or similar to hit it fully home, then fit the pan connector to the pan and line it up in position, mark where the extention is to be cut then fit the pan into it, you might want to consider cutting the lead as near the wall as possible to get rid of the faucet, use an old wood saw it cuts easy

you need a mcalpine multikwik pan connector for the pan and multikwik extention to go into the lead either 4" or 3.5".
...measured itt today...its definately 4".....would i still need to seal it?...to prevent leaks...looking at the soil pipe going down..there is a slight angle downwards...so as to allow the waste to go down and if i put the extension into the soil pipe it will go in quite a bit..all the way to the end...i .cant see how water will seep back upwards, unless i get a blockage...but just to be on the safe side i might seal it as well..what you think ? ta

I would replace the pipe through the wall, might save on taking the toilet out when/if it starts leaking.

I know its more money but i would feel better if it was my house knowing its done.

I would replace the pipe through the wall, might save on taking the toilet out when/if it starts leaking.

I know its more money but i would feel better if it was my house knowing its done.

a properly fitted multikwik into lead will NEVER leak, they have been around for over 35yrs that i know of, prob a lot longer, the lead pipe will be lead run into the cast faucet or lead welded onto a brass tail either in the wall or into the bend outside depending on how it was fitted, it will be a major job to take it out, and TBH if the original joint is inside tha wall it will be a far better joint than you will be able to make sealing a new bit of plastic unless you want to cut a 6" hole all round it, cut the lead flush with the wall fit the right size multikwik extention, and if the angle is steep use an angled pan connector to match them up, no need for a seal between the multikwik and lead, it will be fine

"a properly fitted multikwik into lead will NEVER leak"

Did i not say when/if? So the "if" is relevant if its not fitted properly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back