Two Toilets, One Soil Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm redoing our house and moving the bathroom around and fitting an ensuite. There is currently a soil pipe running vertically up through one of the bedroom floors and through a wall to the bathroom. What I plan on doing is run that pipe along the wall and connecting to a toilet via a T piece then carrying it on along the wall into the ensuite and connecting a second toilet. Assuming I get the fall right can anyone see any problems?

Adam

Sponsored Links
Forming a new en-suit is notifyable building work;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/kitchensbathrooms/
the work must comply with several Building Regulations which include drainage, ventilation, electrical work & possibly sound insulation if your using stud walls; the work may also be subject to inspection & possibly a witnessed test by your LABC.

I would advise you read & understand the associated Building Regulations before you go any further.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/

Forming a new en-suit is notifyable building work;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/kitchensbathrooms/
the work must comply with several Building Regulations which include drainage, ventilation, electrical work & possibly sound insulation if your using stud walls; the work may also be subject to inspection & possibly a witnessed test by your LABC.

I would advise you read & understand the associated Building Regulations before you go any further.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/[/QUOTE]
He never said he's not!
Could only be asking if its acheviable before he contacts the relevant bodies,

Sponsored Links
Who wants to do a dump anywhere near the bedroom anyway? :confused:

Whilst it is good to be aware of all the BC regulations, I am hoping that more and more homeowners will choose to ignore and flaunt these restrictive legislations. If there are no structural safety issues involved, they should bloody well mind their own business - if someone wants to fit an extra bathroom in their house then why has the local council got to stick their oar / nose into it? Moneymaking scam, the whole BC thing.

Thanks for the concern re-regs I've spoken to the BC officer and the application is in and he's happy.

Can someone please look at the original question?

Can someone please look at the original question?
I would have done given 1/2 a chance ;) ; re the AAAV, can you confirm the existing stack has an open vent on the top?

What other sanitary connections are you making e.g. shower/bath/basin & where?

It will do, we've just bought the house and the previous owner vented it by fitting a branch with a blanking cap on the top with a little hole drilled in it. In a bedroom.

under the branch on the soil stack the is a 40mm waste that the shower, basin and bath are connected to

the previous owner vented it by fitting a branch with a blanking cap on the top with a little hole drilled in it. In a bedroom.
That’s in no way acceptable as the stack is effectively open, does it not smell? Depending on how big the vent hole is, there is a possibility it will not let in enough air to vent the system properly; the previous owner's attempts at drainage have obviously never been subject to inspection. At the very least a vented branch should have an AAAV fitted but these on deal with negative pressure & you can only fit one if the system has an “open” stack elsewhere to allow for positive ventilation.

under the branch on the soil stack the is a 40mm waste that the shower, basin and bath are connected to
Ideally individual sanitary fittings should have their own connection to a vertical stack; once you start teeing into a horizontal foul drain or daisy chaining waste connections then you can get problems with trap siphoning. This can be overcome with additional AAAV’s or by fitting Hepv0 traps/valves but it better to without these if you can.

At this point, it would be a good idea if you can post a diagram with some dimensions on it + some photo’s or a sketch of the existing stack & the branch so we can see what’s going on as it’s not clear what’s there already or what you propose. I assume your application includes the formation of the new en-suite as the BR’s you need to comply with don’t just cover drainage; get it wrong & the BI won’t pass it.

Currently there is just half a stack, it comes out the ground straight up and through the floor in a bedroom. I propose to continue this to a vent through the roof and the connect a 40mm waste where it come through the floor and a soil branch above this 40mm connection that will have the two toilets connected to it.

Thanks for your help

You certainly need to vent the stack but if you connect 2 toilets in tandem on the branch, you will need a vent at the far end or you'll continually pull one or other of the toilet traps when you flush. If you have more than one appliance on the 40mm waste run or if the branch is longer than 3m, you will need to vent that as well or, again, one or other of the waste traps will siphon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back