Add second toilet to soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are redesigning our bathroom and want to partition it to create a second toilet.

The existing toilet is by the bathroom entrance so this would stay in place and become the closet toilet. We then want to add a new toilet in the bathroom.

The new toilet will be on the same (external) wall, about 1 - 1.5m further along.

The waste from the existing toilet goes straight through the wall and into the vertical soil pipe. I think I need to break into the soil pipe below the existing connection and add a branch connection to run horizontally to the new toilet.

If I put the new branch directly below the existing toilet connection then I estimate it will enter the soil pipe about 380 - 400mm below the toilet outlet. Given that I have around 1m horizontal distance to the new toilet that gives a drop of around 1:3. This is much more than the 1:40 I see quoted as ideal. Is it too much?

The only alternative I can see is to have a short vertical before turning and running horizontally to the soil pipe. Is this an acceptable layout?

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Jon

Sponsored Links
The fall wont be too critical over that distance (unless you ask it run uphill from the toilet!). The 1:40 is for long distances, especially with underground drains.

If your stack is plastic you have the option to fit a double branch in place of the existing single branch, provided that will give the required fall.

Thanks Hugh.

I think I'd struggle to get the fall using a double branch

Sounds like dropping the new pipe in below the existing branch will be no problem though so I'm happy with that.

Jon

Sponsored Links
1 in 40 is a minimum fall; you can have more. You'll need to create a slip joint below the existing branch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back