A job I couldn’t do....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum has been nagging me for over a week to clean out the blocked drain that has been filling up in her back garden so I went round today armed with a pair of the wife’s marigolds and my Karcher. After clearing some leaves and blasting the metal drain cover I ran the kitchen tap for a while and it seemed fine. Then I noticed the water slowly rising. I whipped the manhole cover in the middle of her patio up and it was full of water - a few inches from the top. Anyway, I got a bucket, dipped it in to empty it and came up with half a bucket of turds.

CBB2E5A4-932D-4E51-9256-5B5A27BC099C.gif

That was enough for me, I got on the line to Thames water. Amazingly their man arrived within 20 minutes. He had just two teeth in his head and looked like he lived down a drain. First thing the bloke did after parking his van was to get out and take a photo of the house. He then set up some cones and signs at the front of his van. Took a photo. Then the back. Took another photo. Came in, removed the drain cover. Took a photo. Erected a barrier around the manhole. Took a photo. Poked and prodded around with his drain rod and then started stirring until he had a drain full of brown porridge. Took a photo. The fecking smell that chucked up was enough for me, I left him to it.

CBB2E5A4-932D-4E51-9256-5B5A27BC099C.gif

My mums just phoned - he had to get a load more sticks apparently but it’s all done now.

That is one job I couldn’t do. Urgh.

I wonder if he belongs to any drain clearing forums? I can just imagine the photos if they had a 'Post the best photo you took today' threads! :confused:

Reminded me of this - another job I couldn’t do:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think it's about providing a visual reference to the job in hand, had a mildly similar experience whereby I had a problem with my private drain backing up because of a blockage on the water company's sewer, he took plenty of photos too.

Mottie, I love doing drainage work, normally it will take either 2 mins or up to 2hrs to unblock a manhole/drain line.
When the customer complains about the smell, I tell them that it's all of their $hit.

Andy

I got involved with an insurance claim where the entire ground floor had been flooded out to the hEight of the ceiling of the ground floor.

After about 4 weeks the water had drained out so the removal of all the contents started.

On the second or third day someone clearing the utility room opened up the chest freezer -- everyone in the house left [hurriedly] ith their eyes watering?

Sponsored Links
My mum has been nagging me for over a week to clean out the blocked drain that has been filling up in her back garden so I went round today armed with a pair of the wife’s marigolds and my Karcher. After clearing some leaves and blasting the metal drain cover I ran the kitchen tap for a while and it seemed fine. Then I noticed the water slowly rising. I whipped the manhole cover in the middle of her patio up and it was full of water - a few inches from the top. Anyway, I got a bucket, dipped it in to empty it and came up with half a bucket of turds.

View attachment 180846

That was enough for me, I got on the line to Thames water. Amazingly their man arrived within 20 minutes. He had just two teeth in his head and looked like he lived down a drain. First thing the bloke did after parking his van was to get out and take a photo of the house. He then set up some cones and signs at the front of his van. Took a photo. Then the back. Took another photo. Came in, removed the drain cover. Took a photo. Erected a barrier around the manhole. Took a photo. Poked and prodded around with his drain rod and then started stirring until he had a drain full of brown porridge. Took a photo. The fecking smell that chucked up was enough for me, I left him to it.

View attachment 180846

My mums just phoned - he had to get a load more sticks apparently but it’s all done now.

That is one job I couldn’t do. Urgh.

I wonder if he belongs to any drain clearing forums? I can just imagine the photos if they had a 'Post the best photo you took today' threads! :confused:

Reminded me of this - another job I couldn’t do:

Doesn't really bother me, but then I have a pretty poor sense of smell.

I stayed in a flat with a mate after his wife left. She got him (us) kicked out after about 6 months, and when we had to leave she turned up to get all her stuff. In a kitchen pantry type cupboard there was a bag of veg that had putrefied, but that wasn't the worst thing. Along with the bag of veg there was an old top loader washing machine, and inside were several soiled nappies which had been stewing for 6 months (at least). Somehow, and I have no idea how, she emptied the contents into the sink. The smell was so awful that people were coming out of flats several doors and floors away.

Sponsored Links
Back