A leak or pipe noise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After running the 1st floor bathroom washbasin tap for upwards of 6/7 seconds (hot or cold) down an unplugged sink there is a drip noise from underneath the floorboards. I say 'drip' but it is also similar to the 'creak/tick' noise that pipes can make. It also happens to a lesser extent when emptying the (very small) basin.
It's generally faster at the start then gets slower - till it peters out after a few seconds.
There is no noise after running the bath.
This could have been happening forever or just recently - but I only just noticed it.
There is no sign of any leak downstairs though since noticing I don't use it very often - I'm too afraid to!
Before I get in a plumber to rip apart my bathroom are there any checks I can make?

Sponsored Links
If the noise peters out while you continue to run the water then I would suggest it is simply pipe noise of a pipe rubbing as it expands and contracts.

As there are no signs of a leak I would probably do the opposite to you and flush loads of water through (you might call that a soak test!) and if still no sign of damp anywhere simply accept it is some pipe noise. One thing is pretty certain, it is not a leak on the hot or cold as this would be going on all the time maybe worse when water is off at the taps with full pressure in the pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back