'A' Level grades - how about a sensible discussion....

I assumed they took into account the pupils mock exam marks aswell.

And the grades were still independently marked based on teacher recommendations, the quality of the coursework produced upto the point of lock down.

I'm not disputing your claim, on this occasion I'm genuinely interested
I'm afraid teacher recommendations were largely ignored depending on which type of school was involved...

"Britain’s equalities watchdog has warned it will intervene in the controversy over the handling of A-level results in England after students from disadvantaged backgrounds were worst hit while private school pupils benefited the most."

Nice swerve on your spelling btw.

But also not so hot on the word spacing.

Which subjects did you mark?

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid teacher recommendations were largely ignored depending on which type of school was involved...

"Britain’s equalities watchdog has warned it will intervene in the controversy over the handling of A-level results in England after students from disadvantaged backgrounds were worst hit while private school pupils benefited the most."

Nice swerve on your spelling btw.

But also not so hot on the word spacing.

Which subjects did you mark?

Luckily not English lol.

I marked IT tests

The moving school bit was partly tongue in cheek, but I moved from a private school to a grammar school (bucks, one of the few counties to still have such things). The teaching and resources were much better at the grammar school, but as a 16 yo lad so was the temptation from all the young ladies.

Still, I guess at least I didn't flunk them and my grades were good enough to get into my 1st choice uni.

I do feel for this year's students though, esp the ones who weren't awarded what they were expecting / hoping for, I dont pretend to know what the answer is. At the very least though it should have been equitable.

Did he stay in mainstream school or go to a SEN school?

It was called Sudbury Academy for Performing Arts, where they studied things like stage work, acting, lighting, sound, prop design etc but also had to study for English & Maths GCSE The other core subjects, such as languages, sciences etc were able to be dropped as all students had an interest in the Arts, be it painting, sculpting, acting etc. So it was classed as mainstream as the majority of students, (they weren't called pupils), were from mainstream schools but chose this 'educational/career path.
Sue had to fight tooth and nail to get the support of SENCO's in place and even training for some of the tutors who had no idea how to deal with autistic issues such as meltdowns in class or, in his case, allowing him to have his lunch at the same time every day and in the same place. My wife and the tutors worked out a traffic light signalling system which basically consisted of him having a red, orange and green card. If he was coping then he placed the green card on show, clearly visible to everyone. If he was getting mildly stressed he would change it to the orange one and if he could feel a meltdown coming on he placed the red one on view and left the room with the SENCO and went to a designated 'safe' place. This was then carried on into the college when he left the academy and things got so good he could sometimes go weeks with just the green card on show.

Good on her, you and your son sound lucky to have her. It's sounds if it wasn't for her tenaciousness he perhaps may not have achieved the potential he has.

It is disappointing that one should fight for the needs of their children to get a decent education. But I suppose with the system as crowded as it is they concentrate non the easy ones.

Ys we are both lucky to have her in our lives and never a day goes by without me showing her how much she means to me.
Yes, he probably would have been placed in a SEN establishment where he would have been dragged down to the level of the lowest in there, simply because they do not have the facilities for one to one attention/teaching.

Sponsored Links
The Guardian has worked out why the system shat on so many comprehensives compared to independent schools.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...why-englands-a-level-grading-system-is-unfair

Essentially, the algorithm they used said that if you had any chance at all of one person in a group getting a U in a class (even less than 50/50) then one person must be given a U and that'd be given to the lowest ranked student, no matter what they were predicted. In short it rounded down to fill the lowest available grades first.

That'll round down a lot more when you've got a wide range of grades predicted compared to a group that is just expecting As and Bs. Which explains why independent and selective schools did proportionally better this year. They have fewer low grades cropping up to drag the scores down.

It was called Sudbury Academy for Performing Arts, where they studied things like stage work, acting, lighting, sound, prop design etc but also had to study for English & Maths GCSE The other core subjects, such as languages, sciences etc were able to be dropped as all students had an interest in the Arts, be it painting, sculpting, acting etc. So it was classed as mainstream as the majority of students, (they weren't called pupils), were from mainstream schools but chose this 'educational/career path.
Sue had to fight tooth and nail to get the support of SENCO's in place and even training for some of the tutors who had no idea how to deal with autistic issues such as meltdowns in class or, in his case, allowing him to have his lunch at the same time every day and in the same place. My wife and the tutors worked out a traffic light signalling system which basically consisted of him having a red, orange and green card. If he was coping then he placed the green card on show, clearly visible to everyone. If he was getting mildly stressed he would change it to the orange one and if he could feel a meltdown coming on he placed the red one on view and left the room with the SENCO and went to a designated 'safe' place. This was then carried on into the college when he left the academy and things got so good he could sometimes go weeks with just the green card on show.

Ys we are both lucky to have her in our lives and never a day goes by without me showing her how much she means to me.
Yes, he probably would have been placed in a SEN establishment where he would have been dragged down to the level of the lowest in there, simply because they do not have the facilities for one to one attention/teaching.

It sounds like you went down the right route, my youngest did get plenty of extra support from the school, but critically he stayed in mainstream school, which I've always maintained wasn't the correct setting for him, neither was a SEN school, as you rightly point out those take kids with widely ranging disabilities. My youngest only has mild to moderate learning disabilities. The problem we've always had with him is he's never shown any interest in anything really and as he simply doesn't understand what he's taught, nor can remember any of it long term. So I don't know what the future holds, maybe the armed forces would give him the structure and discipline he needs, maybe not.

He says he wants to retake his college course, but as he wasn't awarded anything this year due to not completing his course work I can't see the point, as he probably wouldn't do it next year either. Kids uh?

I assumed they took into account the pupils mock exam marks aswell.

And the grades were still independently marked based on teacher recommendations, the quality of the coursework produced upto the point of lock down.

I'm not disputing your claim, on this occasion I'm genuinely interested
To an extent with mocks, but that of course goes against those pupils who do well in an exam situation.

And teachers recommendations were marked down in up to 40% of cases, often depending on the 'historic record' of the school they were teaching in.
The teachers of course know their pupils best, but government thinks otherwise!

I see this morning that all appeals will be 'free' (well tax-payer funded actually), and a similar debacle is about to happen with GCSE's.

On a happy note though, our youngest was able to reject their backup choice (unconditional offer at Oxford) and has chosen to follow in the footsteps of our other two and study abroad.
Thus enjoying an almost debt free tertiary education (y)

should teachers get a big bonus for teaching and inspiring what will be the brightest year of students ever? they even achieved this without the students finishing their courses. just as amazing as our NHS when you think about it, lets all stand outside and clap

The Guardian has worked out why the system shat on so many comprehensives compared to independent schools.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...why-englands-a-level-grading-system-is-unfair

Essentially, the algorithm they used said that if you had any chance at all of one person in a group getting a U in a class (even less than 50/50) then one person must be given a U and that'd be given to the lowest ranked student, no matter what they were predicted. In short it rounded down to fill the lowest available grades first.

That'll round down a lot more when you've got a wide range of grades predicted compared to a group that is just expecting As and Bs. Which explains why independent and selective schools did proportionally better this year. They have fewer low grades cropping up to drag the scores down.
The 'elite' protecting their own - but then it has always been thus...

However it has recently become such a refined tactic that they have now even got the victims to vote against their own best interests...

The dumbing down of the majority of the education system has certainly worked!

So does anyone think their child was awarded a lower grade than they were predicted.?

So does anyone think their child was awarded a lower grade than they were predicted.?
Not personally, but several friends were downgraded.
One who was predicted to get 3 'A's got an A, a B, and a C.

grades.JPG

Just as an aside...

There have been suggestions that maybe pupils could be held back and redo the prematurely finished year again.

That wouldn't work given that there would not be enough room in our crowded schools to cope...

So how about a radical rethink and go down the route of most Scandinavian and many EU countries in upping the starting school age?
It works for them!

And all the money being poured into re-jigging existing buildings could instead go into providing proper pre-school care.
Which would allow parents to go to work and increase employment in that sector.

:)

Sponsored Links
Back