'A' Level grades - how about a sensible discussion....

So your child got their predicated grades or used their mock results... All very confusing this debacle.
All down to an 'algorithm' apparently...

Which appears to be weighted in favour of fee paying schools!
The head teacher of our (state) school was livid at the injustices, insomuch as every 'A level' student was individually phoned by her not only to congratulate but to talk over the options for those left in the lurch.
Absolutely first class!

As to the personal situation, mocks and predictions were the same...

But this debacle does bring up an interesting thought for the future - don't mock the mocks!

Sponsored Links
Apparently it was the same with driving tests - those in poorer areas suffered more......

AF102593-776B-4906-8A79-EEEE244B2F1D.jpeg

Well things have gone from bad to worse, even though that was hardly possible...

Yesterday Ofqual announced a change in the appeals procedure, and then revoked the change within hours so that an unspecified 'appeals system' could be put in place at a later unspecified date...

And they can't even work out what qualifies as a proper mock exam.
But then what do you expect with an increasingly privatised education system where academies can choose how they operate individually and have no obligation to follow a national curriculum!

Of course it leaves tens of thousands of students in limbo...

And a similar 'algorithm' to the farcical A level one will be awarding GCSE results this thursday!

The UK has gone way beyond being a laughing stock!

The UK has gone way beyond being a laughing stock!
That's what happens when a bunch of yay-sayers are elected on the back of a phony ticket.

The UK like the USA, wont be taken seriously for years.

Get Brexit Done, lol.

Sponsored Links
It is rubbish no question, but what would be your suggestion. Just watched Channel 4 news, which had some teenagers on it, they hadn't got the results they expected, for which I sympathise, but when asked how the thought it should have been addressed, they waffled on with a heavy whiff of "It's not fair" I guess at some point they'll find out life isn't.

It is rubbish no question, but what would be your suggestion.

I was asked this on another forum. My response...

When the schools closed, I would have sent a directive demanding a proposal on my desk in 2 weeks. I'd have read it with experts, looked at the practicalities, demanded adjustments if appropriate based upon running every scenario known to man, then bank that solution. I would then have given a final date for submissions from Ofqual, the Unis and the Boards.

Then I would take responsibility for it.

How about that?

An adult as PM would be a good start.

Well it's a matter of record that I have no time for BoJo but that's not addressing the question. I don't have a good answer to it myself, I was interested in others thoughts.

It is rubbish no question, but what would be your suggestion. Just watched Channel 4 news, which had some teenagers on it, they hadn't got the results they expected, for which I sympathise, but when asked how the thought it should have been addressed, they waffled on with a heavy whiff of "It's not fair" I guess at some point they'll find out life isn't.
Yeah, it's a life lesson for sure. It will also teach some that there's no point in working hard coz it means diddly. Certainly a generation of kids who have been royally shafted :(

If you read BoJo's school reports and listen to his Uni lecturers, he slacked off at every opportunity
He's been bluffing for 35 years

If you read BoJo's school reports and listen to his Uni lecturers, he slacked off at every opportunity
He's been bluffing for 35 years

Churchills academic record wasn't any better TBH. (Not that I'm comparing them)

It would be very interesting to see what other algorithms were tested and how accurate they were expected to be.

Fundamentally when you have predicted grades that are so much better than they've ever been some people must get lower scores than predicted, or you just accept that everyone gets As this year.

It was always going to be awful, slightly less awful might have been possible, but even with a magic algorithm that was exactly right on what grades people got you'd have people upset over the results.

The double whammy of the virus and brexit means that there will be many less overseas students going to UK universities...

Thus since Universities are still expanding and they are a private industry in UK PLC, it would be logical to go along with teacher assessments and fill those places...

Unless of course you believe a government algorithm is a better judge of ability than teachers?

An algorithm that is heavily biased to the elite schools!

For some yes, but for other's (stop fecking autocwroning bloody phone!) the lack of overseas students has meant that due lack of bums on seats pretty much all domestic students have been accepted. Doesn't make it right though. My views on the university system are also well known on this forum, they're not positive. To distill it, a degree in this country has been heavily diluted, but as I've maintained not having a degree doesn't mean anything either.

Sponsored Links
Back